AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently just purchase 2 fronts def tech BP6B's and am looking to get a center channel speaker. Would the ProCenter1000 fit really good? I'm not looking to spend over $200-350 for this speaker but if there is a real good jump in performance, I would be willing.

Also, I have a Denon AVR 1610 powering these speakers. They do not seem to be as loud as when I auditioned them at Magnolia, (granted I have them in a bit bigger room and the receiver isn't as nice as the one they had powering it). Should these be REALLY loud with that receiver and I have some setting wrong or what? Any suggestions?! What dB # should be starting to be LOUD? What's the break-in period for these speakers and what's the max dB for these speakers that I should have it at for the break-in period.

Also, for movies, having a center channel is it going to make it quite a bit louder than just having two front speakers?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mac10 /forum/post/18219935

Hello,

I recently just purchase 2 fronts def tech BP6B's and am looking to get a center channel speaker. Would the ProCenter1000 fit really good? I'm not looking to spend over $200-350 for this speaker but if there is a real good jump in performance, I would be willing.

Also, I have a Denon AVR 1610 powering these speakers. They do not seem to be as loud as when I auditioned them at Magnolia, (granted I have them in a bit bigger room and the receiver isn't as nice as the one they had powering it). Should these be REALLY loud with that receiver and I have some setting wrong or what? Any suggestions?! What dB # should be starting to be LOUD? What's the break-in period for these speakers and what's the max dB for these speakers that I should have it at for the break-in period.

Also, for movies, having a center channel is it going to make it quite a bit louder than just having two front speakers?

Thanks for any advice.

The PC1000 would not be a good match. You should be looking at the CLR2002. The retail price may be over budget, but you could consider other outlets besides the Mag room.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Definitive-Techn...item27ae853f6d

The Denon 1610 may have only 75wpc, but that should still get you the volume you need. Double check your settings in the 1610. The BP6B should be set as large or full bandwidth and no other speakers including sub should be recognized.

Don't concern yourself with break-in period. That will happen with normal use and there's no more chance of damaging a new speaker than an older broken-in one.

Yes. Having a center channel will make a huge difference.

I wouldn't know your level of experience with audio equipment so let me suggest double checking the speaker connections. One should be from the positive front speaker post on the receiver to the positive binding post on the speaker. The other wire should be from the negative post on the rcvr to the neg on the speaker. A simple mistake with those connections would cause the speaker pair to be out of phase and reduce SPL.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, that looks like a pretty good deal on ebay. What would be a good pair of surrounds for this setup? Stick with DT's or what?

Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mac10 /forum/post/18222113

Alright, that looks like a pretty good deal on ebay. What would be a good pair of surrounds for this setup? Stick with DT's or what?

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to purchse the BP6's soon as well. For my surrounds I just picked up some Stuio Monitors 350 from Craigslist for half the price retail. I purchased my center C/L/R2300 a while ago and it sounds great! (should have picked up the 2500 instead since the 5.25 drivers matches the BP6 driver size).

For surrounds you can do either the BP2X or Studio Monitor 350's (or 450's if you want a bigger woofer). You can get killer deals on ebay or Craigslist. Your drivers should be the same size for each speaker. For the BP6, the driver size is 5.25, the 2002 center will match that well. If you wanted a built-in power sub for the center...the C\\L\\R 2500 will do.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mac10 /forum/post/18222113

Thanks!

If you're on a very strict budget, then here's where you can get away it. A different manufacturer or a very inexpensive speaker from the same company can be doable. Timbre matching will be a little off, but the Denon can help with that a little.

With that said, I hope you don't have to do it

To me and many others, you don't want to make such a big compromise at any channel. You'll find it very rewarding to get a well matched surround for your setup.

The BP2X would be an excellent choice. The SM350 would also work great if you prefer a direct radiating design at the surround position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts