AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AMP board went bad on my 3 and half years old sub, called def. tech. they told me to talk to dealer. any idea how much it would cost. store told me may be $200 or more not sure yet. i really like the sub but i am disappointed at this failure just after warranty expired. if i could parts can i fix it by my self?

· Premium Member
8,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum /forum/post/16850562

AMP board went bad on my 3 and half years old sub, called def. tech. they told me to talk to dealer. any idea how much it would cost. store told me may be $200 or more not sure yet. i really like the sub but i am disappointed at this failure just after warranty expired. if i could parts can i fix it by my self?

Do you have the technical expertise to do the diagnostics as well as the needed repairs? If you aren't confident that you posess those qualifications you would be better off letting designated repair personnel do the repair.

In these kinds of situations people start something, only to find out that they made things worse and more expensive.

A few people have substituted a new and different plate amp. I personally don't like that option. There is a good chance the original amp had some EQ that you wouldn't get with a different plate amp.

I feel for you. When this kind of thing happens right after the warranty period, it makes you feel unlucky.

· Registered
110 Posts
Amp failures on this product have been relatively common and Def Tech, as a rule, and been fairly compassionate about charging for repairs. If you're on the borderline warranty wise, Def Tech typically will allow you a little grace...it's up to the dealer to charge you or not. They're a pain to work on because the interior of the box is so small so it's reasonable to expect to pay a service charge for the trouble...Def Tech does not compensate the dealer for any in-house warranty work (nor does any other speaker manufacturer).

JP

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the dealer told me that he will order part and do repair in house, he told me if it is amp board only then it is $200 repair, the way he mentioned it i thought it is easy job. he said the outer plate will come out and they will change the board on the plate. a good sub will cost me at least $700 and i am not in a position to spent that kind of money and on the other hand i don't want to throw good money at bad. are super cubes prone to this kind of failures?

· Registered
110 Posts
when I had the timing belt changed on my Passat some years ago the dealer called me and said...why not change the water pump as long as we've got the front of the motor off? Knowing that the water pump is bound to fail before the 2nd timing belt is due, I saved the extra labor and had them do it.

we ALWAYS change both boards. It saves you time and/or money.

Get if fixed, sell it on e-Bay for the cost of the repairs, and buy the Velodyne Mini-Vee the other guy posting on this site is going to try and sell because it's too small for his B&W 683's...(and it really is to small for those).

· Premium Member
8,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum /forum/post/16850884

the dealer told me that he will order part and do repair in house, he told me if it is amp board only then it is $200 repair, the way he mentioned it i thought it is easy job. he said the outer plate will come out and they will change the board on the plate. a good sub will cost me at least $700 and i am not in a position to spent that kind of money and on the other hand i don't want to throw good money at bad. are super cubes prone to this kind of failures?

"he told me if it is amp board only then it is $200 repair, the way he mentioned it i thought it is any easy job."

That is why I mentioned diagnostics.

Another thing is that if it turns out to be the amp board and you tell your dealer that you want to install it, you could run into warranty problems (and possibly tick-off the dealer in the process).

You could think about asking the dealer in a very diplomatic fashion if he has any problem with you installing the the amp board.

Personally it wouldn't be worth it to try to save a little on the installation of the boards since as you said, it sounds like an easy job.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have no intentions of doing it my self because of warranty reason, i want to make sure they do it right, the diagnostic dealer did is connected to amp and checked sub, there was no sound coming, if he do some other test behind me i don't know, but he mentioned he has came across such kind of failure in one other supercube 3 and changing amp board resolved the issue, he called also def. tech support to confirm this and ordered parts.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
I bought the supercube 111 in Jan 2006. Last month I heard a pop and it stopped working. I bought it at Magnolia and luckily I still had the reciept so I took it to Best Buy. They told me it was under warranty for 5 years till Jan 2011. They replaced the amps through there geek squad deal for no charge.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got my SC iii back after repairs, cost me $150 with one year warranty.

bonscott,

It is nice of BB to repair it under their warranty.

· Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott /forum/post/16858346

I bought the supercube 111 in Jan 2006. Last month I heard a pop and it stopped working. I bought it at Magnolia and luckily I still had the reciept so I took it to Best Buy. They told me it was under warranty for 5 years till Jan 2011. They replaced the amps through there geek squad deal for no charge.

This is good to hear as I'm getting some noises from my SC III and I don't know what's causing it.

I orginally thought it was my BlackBerry causing it, but I don't think that's the case now.

It's not clipping at high volume either. It's happening at low volume too. It's sounding like somone is dropping a hammer on the hardwood floors above the theater. It's hooked up to my Pioneer Elite VSX74.

I don't what's causing this. Any ideas?

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott /forum/post/16858346

This is good to hear as I'm getting some noises from my SC III and I don't know what's causing it.

I orginally thought it was my BlackBerry causing it, but I don't think that's the case now.

It's not clipping at high volume either. It's happening at low volume too. It's sounding like somone is dropping a hammer on the hardwood floors above the theater. It's hooked up to my Pioneer Elite VSX74.

so i found my own thread, my amp has filed third time now, it last only 2 years, last one was less than 2 years, irony is it is not used that much this time, very disappointed, i love this sub. i will call deftech again and see what can they do, it looks like it is known issue.

· Registered
210 Posts
Quote:Originally Posted by bonscott

I realize the original thread is from a long time ago and and your latest reply is a few months back. I came to your thread because mine has started to make chuffing noises that I never got before and I had the amp turn off. I have had this thing for 6-7 years now without issue. I just noticed that the screws on the bottom seem to be loose so I tightened those. The carpet spike part that you screw the spikes into are loose. Lots of little issues. I think it is time for a new sub for me but I wanted to mention that hammer noise.

I had the same thing for about a month. At first I thought it was the kids or something upstairs throwing something on the ground. I literally went upstairs to check. It was odd. It happened for about a month - 4-5 movies and I couldnt figure it out. Now it went away and I have the chuffing - the left side radiator seems to make it.

anyway, just thought I would mention all my issues after many years a solid performance for a little guy. I recently moved to a bigger house and have a dedicated, still smaller room but I can get a bigger sub now. no WAF.

· Registered
196 Posts
I realize the original thread is from a long time ago and and your latest reply is a few months back. I came to your thread because mine has started to make chuffing noises that I never got before and I had the amp turn off. I have had this thing for 6-7 years now without issue. I just noticed that the screws on the bottom seem to be loose so I tightened those. The carpet spike part that you screw the spikes into are loose. Lots of little issues. I think it is time for a new sub for me but I wanted to mention that hammer noise.

I had the same thing for about a month. At first I thought it was the kids or something upstairs throwing something on the ground. I literally went upstairs to check. It was odd. It happened for about a month - 4-5 movies and I couldnt figure it out. Now it went away and I have the chuffing - the left side radiator seems to make it.

anyway, just thought I would mention all my issues after many years a solid performance for a little guy. I recently moved to a bigger house and have a dedicated, still smaller room but I can get a bigger sub now. no WAF.
I had the amp on my SCIII dies after 4 years, generously replaced by Def Tech. I am only 2 years into the replacement and it died again. I push this little sucker hard, but only watch movies like once a week at best. The sub's light comes on, but nobody's home. Does anyone know if these issues are all caused by the same part on the board?

I see a few independents offering to fix these for around $150 USD on fleabay. Do the current Deftech subs suffer from the same fate?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.