AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a pair of Definitive Technology BP-2X's to replace my B&W 601 rears from monopoles to bipoles; far better now- rear FX actually sound like FX coming from back wall - instead of "over my shoulder sound coming from that speaker effect" I have "non-matching" NHT HDP-2 Dipoles as sides. Sounds fine with non-matching surrounds. Not a problem, as others would make you believe. ;)

Anyhoo has anyone a idea of the real bass ability/frequency response of these surround speakers? On the tech specs page it states " 45 — 30 kHz." which seems like stretching a bit- no sign of a "+/-" spec. At a guess F3 point of 60hz? (for speakers of this size/driver/design)

ta

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
Well, with a 6" bass driver they won't exactly be bass monsters. Great speakers though and they'll sound fine with a sub.

For the record, mixing speakers is NOT a good idea. The "others" you refer to include George Lucas, THX, Dolby, etc. You managed to get a mixed sound that you like and that's great. However, just in case a newbie stumbles across this thread it needs to be pointed out that this is the exception rather than the norm. It is in fact, very important to have all of your speakers (except the sub) be the same brand and timber matched whenever possible.

Enjoy your new speakers!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange how one contradicts the other though!

(AFAIK)

Dolby- Monopole direct speakers all-round. Set in stone- no mention if other types of side and/or rears should be considered if the audience is incredibly close to speakers. That conflicts with THX.

THX- Dipoles on sides. All must be THX certified, including the cables! That conflicts with Dolby (reg. Dipoles)- and in fact your cinema is tested by a THX engineer and it passes "THX Cinema Certified" (THX gear is not alone to pass the test)

Georgy-boy- uses B&W Matrix (NOT THX CERTIFIED!) That conflicts with THX! (and himself!!)

So really I would take any "advice" from one of the above the a shovelful of salt, as each room is different, placement of seating, and general preference. Perhaps to Dolby my system is "not a good idea" but I know what works better IN MY SYSTEM, NOT DOLBY. Add in DTS & DD in the mix and you've got WW III on your hands. ;-)

I do agree with matching front three. And that's it. I know of several people with non-matching (ie one with M&K fronts, Mission bipole rears) Oh and it's "timbre" not timber. I also bought them ex-demo- dealer had them sitting around for years (and will never go) £250 with full warranty. That's a good price- they retail for £600 in the UK (I know they're dirt cheap in the US) :-(

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
FB et al, there's a lot of equipment on the market that easily meets/exceeds the various THX standards, even though the manufacturer chose to not spend the money for certification.

Personally, I like bi-polar speakers, because, in my opinion, they exhibit the benefits of di-polar speakers without the deficits. They decorrelate the sound with dispersion, not phase.

What I mean is: they mimic the wide dispersion of more than one speaker per channel without the waste of driving speakers out of phase. Somewhere in here I'm making sense, I hope.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
With this said, the +/- 3db frequency response for the following

loudspeakers are:

BP10B 27hz - 20khz

PM700 32hz - 20khz

SM350 57hz - 20khz

CLR2002 50hz - 20khz

BP2X 76hz - 20khz

BP1.2X 88hz - 20khz

These measurements were taken with a microphone placed 1 meter away

from the

front of the loudspeaker (which was placed on the floor). There was no

reflective sound from the walls. However, there was a sound reflection

from

the floor.

Thanks,

Chet Pelkowski

Definitive Technology
This is the tail end of an email I got back from Chet @ Definitive Tech when I inquired about some of their speakers. I've got the SM350's, CLR2002, BP2X and BP1.2X speakers, and they sound great.

Sorny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.