AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm asking questions that are answered in other posts, but why did the tower speakers sound so much better to me vs. the definitive technology procinema 800 system? If the reason is that tower speakers produce a better sound, what speaker system would be best for $1500 that includes towers? I loved the sound of the klipsch I sampled in best buy, but the system was like $2800 and i only want to spend $1500. I will be using the surround sound for movies 75% and music 25% of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
You're asking an impossible question to answer. Klipsch and Def Tech are quite different, primarily differentiated by the horn tweeters in Klipsch. Also, Best Buy is really a horrible place to compare speakers, since they're set up very poorly (generally).

To make sure you heard what you should hear from each speaker, try to find another dealer in your area that carries both, and more than likely has a better demonstration area.

However, there is nothing true about tower speakers producing better sound, necessarily. The larger, heavier cabinet can help a tower achiever lower extension (more bass), but I've heard quality sub/satellite (bookshelf) systems do great things.

Really, the best answer to your question is, again, go to another speaker dealer and listen to a properly set up system. As far as what sounds better to your ears, that's something only you can decide. If your emphasis is on movies, either quality satellite speakers with a good sub or towers will do just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. After further research, it seems that in most peoples opinion, tower speakers deliver better sound than bookshelf speakers, especially for music. That being said, all the tower speakers I've researched were alot more expensive. Now I'm sure you could argue a great set of bookshelf speakers would sound better than a cheap set of towers. So here's my next question. Since my budget is $1500, what is the best way to spend that money? Do I go with something like an aperion 4t hybrid and get a complete system, do I spend the entire $1500 on 2 good towers and buy the other speakers later on when i have extra $ , do i look for a closeout deal and piece together a system? Another question I had was, Do the rear speakers make that much of a difference for surround sound? Do i need to buy expensive rears or will any half way decent rear speakers be fine for surround sound?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I purchased a pair of klipsch rf-82's, that would leave me with $400 left over. Would that $400 be best spent on a center speaker or on a pair of rears(assuming that eventually i will have a 5.1 system)?What speakers would you purchase with the remaining $400?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Personally, I value quality more, so I would probably spend the $1500 you have now on a good pair of front towers, and then add a center, sub, and rears as the funds became available. In fact, that's how I've built three separate systems over the past 15 years (more quickly as my income has increased over the years, though). Plus, it's more fun adding and tweaking, I think, rather than doing it all at once and being done, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
You'll be fine watching movies for awhile with 2 towers. Set your receiver up so it's only running the two speakers, and then you'll be using what's called "phantom mode" for movies, where the dialogue is centered (if you're sitting in the sweet spot, midway between both speakers). You won't be getting the surround aspect, but you won't miss it until you've had it.

Ideally, you would stick with one brand of speaker with the same type and size of drivers in each speaker. However, if you're looking to save money, the surrounds could be a different manufacturer or same with smaller drivers. The front three (fronts and center channel) should definitely be same manufacturer and similar drivers, since most of the pans from side to side will be most noticeable in those three speakers, and you want the audio to be as seamless as possible. Finally, the sub definitely can be any make; most of us recommend an internet direct company for subs, such as SVS, HSU, outlaw audio, eD, etc. for best bang for buck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok..thanks for the feedback. I'm going to sample the klipsch towers this week and try and zero in on a nice pair for under $1500. Any other suggestions as far as speakers to consider?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.