AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 wired location in the ceiling of my basement for surround sound. I am considering using DTs AW6500. Is this a good choice for the $$$? If there are similar prices on better speakers please let me know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Using 4 speakers on their own is not really a surround-sound setup.
What are you trying to set up in your basement? Surround sound is usually described as a 5.1 setup at the minimum - three speakers in front, a pair of surround speakers, and a subwoofer.
Do you have your LCR (Left, Centre, Right) speakers and you want to use the DTs for surrounds?
Are you thinking of using the DTs as Atmos channels (probably the best use for them, considering their mounting flexibility)?
Other info like room dimensions, open-concept or closed-in room, display choice, AVR, and your overall budget would help us help you better.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have 4 wired location in the ceiling of my basement for surround sound. I am considering using DTs AW6500. Is this a good choice for the $$$? If there are similar prices on better speakers please let me know.

I’m not sure we’re people get the idea 💡 in ceilings are surrounds?? Only atmos uses those

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I assumed that it would be known that i have front, center, and rear already. The system would be 9.2 total with the 4 speakers attached to the ceiling.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
This makes perfect sense, then. I haven't heard many outdoor speakers, but I haven't read anything POOR about those DefTechs. The ease of installation and ability to aim them anywhere make them a good choice. If you can get a deal on them, all the better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well according to the Dolby guide, my exact system will be 5.2.4.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use 4 AW6500 for my ATMOS ceiling speakers....

They work pretty well in that application, as they can be aimed at the MLP....
They are also light enough in weight that I didn’t need to hit a ceiling joist....
They are mounted right into the drywall with toggle bolts....

I think they are a fine choice for “on ceiling” mounted speakers....

Shelly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shelly...thanks for the response. How is the high end response? I'm not interested in mid or bass. I am hoping to discover those sounds that you normally can't hear with a normal 5.1 system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts