AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a room that is 12'10"L x 11'W x 8'H. I'm looking for help on speaker placement for a 7.1 system in this room. Fronts are BP3000Tls, center CLR3000, and sides BPVX/Ps by Definitive Technology. The only speakers that aren't bipolar are my rear surrounds, which are a pair of JBL L5s. My seating is about 3' from the back wall and center of room. I would like to know how high and forward or back on the side walls the surrounds should be? I could actually use exact placement for all of these speakers in this room. I was told several different things from installers and am very lost. One guy told me to mount them about 4' forward on the side walls and 6' from the floor to the tweeter in the null position. I was also told the height of the tweeter on the surrounds should be at the same height my mains and other speakers are at. Another guy told me the height didn't matter as long as I was in the null position and that it was more important to keep them out of heads way. And another guy told me to put them forward of the null 3' above ear level. Now, I thought you where to never put these speakers ahead of the listening position. As you can probably tell I'm very confused and would great appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Michael,

I do not have experience with the BPVX/P surrounds yet (my best friend has the BP3000TL and CLR3000, but can't get his surrounds for at least another year). I will answer as best I can.

Technically, if you are in the null area, you are in the null area, so it wouldn't matter if the speaker was dead center with your seat or forward/backward from it. Still, I believe that you probably have a better null in the centerline than off of it.

As for their height, you are in the null, so technically, you should not hear anything directly from the speaker. Still, the height is recommended to be above the ear for surrounds that are direct radiating. Dipoles are supposed to use reflected sound which would come from all over. Height isn't likely to be an issue.

The distance from the rear wall is important in that if the speaker is only a foot from the rear wall, you will hear the reflected sound much louder from the rear firing speakers vs. the front firing. The 4' suggestion is probably to make sure that one side of the dipole isn't too loud, otherwise it wouldn't give you the diffuse sound you are supposed to be experiencing with a dipolar surround.

So, the things you should do are this:

1. Be in the null - this is most important

2. Do not place the speakers too near the rear wall

3. Keep the speakers out of head's way - this is why they are often built into columns - your head doesn't go where your feet don't take them

4. Keep your direct radiating surrounds at the same height as the mains if possible AND practical logic makes sense. If your mains are 36" high and your couch is on a 24" riser, that would put your surrounds in the middle of the couch's height - obviously not correct.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
You might get a better response by having the admin move this to the speakers area of the forum.

As far as placement, I would suggest placing the side surrounds directly to the side of the seating position. Place the rears 135&deg from the forward position (firing toward the seating position).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I tried to remove the post, but it's still here. I did put it in the speakers area of the forum.

Thanks again guys for your advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.