AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently started getting more serious about my home theater. Always love the gear my father has and now finally have the money to invest in a more serious system. My current setup consists of Pioneer elite SC-55 av-reciever, 2-BP-8080ST, 1-CS8080-HD, 2-SR-8080BP, and 1-Supercube 1. Everything sounds fantastic, definitely an upgrade from my previous equipment. The only thing I'm curious about is if my system would benefit much with additional amplifiers for the towers and center? I was looking at Emotiva or possibly outlaw monoblocks. Also curious if anybody has had any noticeable improvements with spikes or cones?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Recently started getting more serious about my home theater. Always love the gear my father has and now finally have the money to invest in a more serious system. My current setup consists of Pioneer elite SC-55 av-reciever, 2-BP-8080ST, 1-CS8080-HD, 2-SR-8080BP, and 1-Supercube 1. Everything sounds fantastic, definitely an upgrade from my previous equipment. The only thing I'm curious about is if my system would benefit much with additional amplifiers for the towers and center? I was looking at Emotiva or possibly outlaw monoblocks. Also curious if anybody has had any noticeable improvements with spikes or cones?
Should I repost this thread under definitive technology owners thread? Would really appreciate some help, thanks in advance!
What is the size of your room?

Are your speakers crossover over at 80hz or used at full-range?

What is the distance from the speakers to the LP (listening position)?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
As far as HT and amplification goes, you should be just fine with your AVR, even in a pretty big room.
The only thing may be if you listen to any 2 channel music, I'm not up on the newer ST's like I am with the older models, but I can tell you that some those (like my BP-2000's) really open up with power, so possibly something for your BP-8080-ST's, maybe an XPA-2. Go ahead and e-mail DefTech to ask them, but again would only be for music IMO.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
You would benefit most from a pair of good subs. The sc1 is pretty much the same as my sc8000 and my SVS pc12+ stomps it into the floor.
There are a lot of great subs that you can get for under 2k.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In all honesty I have ALOT more speaker than the room needs currently, Its ridiculous to be blunt. But I am considering moving the setup into a larger room being the living room. The room opens up into a Kitchen and so on, not ideal acoustically. The speakers are currently driven pretty well but didnt want to be disapointed after spending all the time relocating both of my setups. The reciever pushes 140 watts/channel but you know how misleading that spec can be. Im not 100% sure on how to find out the true watt/channel. I know the speakers are rather effient (definitley not my father's power hungry Thiels,) so I wasnt sure on how much power I really need and how much they would even benefit. I'd hate to spend thousands on some good amps and hear no difference. Then I was going back and forth on whether to just get a good amp for the front three and leave the surrounds to my reciever, or if every channel would need it. Or hell maybe just the front left and right.

I was looking into a svs sub, I have never heard one in person. Never heard a negative comment about them though. I like my current sub, It hits hard but am always open to an upgrade. Would the SVS be more tight? I tend to use my system equally for movies, music, and gaming. I'd want the most versatile system possible, which some may consider ironic going the bipolar speaker route lol.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
In all honesty I have ALOT more speaker than the room needs currently, Its ridiculous to be blunt. But I am considering moving the setup into a larger room being the living room. The room opens up into a Kitchen and so on, not ideal acoustically. The speakers are currently driven pretty well but didnt want to be disapointed after spending all the time relocating both of my setups. The reciever pushes 140 watts/channel but you know how misleading that spec can be. Im not 100% sure on how to find out the true watt/channel. I know the speakers are rather effient (definitley not my father's power hungry Thiels,) so I wasnt sure on how much power I really need and how much they would even benefit. I'd hate to spend thousands on some good amps and hear no difference. Then I was going back and forth on whether to just get a good amp for the front three and leave the surrounds to my reciever, or if every channel would need it. Or hell maybe just the front left and right.

I was looking into a svs sub, I have never heard one in person. Never heard a negative comment about them though. I like my current sub, It hits hard but am always open to an upgrade. Would the SVS be more tight? I tend to use my system equally for movies, music, and gaming. I'd want the most versatile system possible, which some may consider ironic going the bipolar speaker route lol.
Also would you recommend using the LFE on the towers or not?
Even in the living room, that receiver should power those speakers just fine. Just leave them crossed over at 80hz (sending the LFE to the subs). Your speakers will play nice and loud.

Wave theory is very interesting, but very complex at the same time. The speakers concern is distance, while the subs concern is cu. ft. If you are going from a small to larger room, you will notice more of a difference in less bass output/tactile bass. Depending on how much farther away you are sitting will determine how much more power your speakers will require. Honestly, I don't think you should have to worry about your receiver not being able to power your speakers.

That receiver puts out about 140 watts with 9 channels driven with 8 ohms impedance. That rating is not blown out of proportion and I don't think those specs are as misleading as you think. Surrounds consume much less power than your L,C,R channels.

The greatest benefit, if you are starting a budget for an upgrade, would be adding more subs since you are greatly expanding your cu. footage (open living room).

I would try to sell the current sub are grab two powerhouses. Or 1, and add another later on. My greatest investments have been larger subs because they add output, and extreme LFE effects in movies/games that we all crave.

Any ID company, not just SVS, offers great subs for the money. Based on your room size (open living room), I would look into the larger ported subs such these below. Sealed isn't a bad option either, I added 1 because you listen to music (again, not 100% sure of your budget): *in no particular order

HSU: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html
Reaction Audio: http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/subwoofers/products/echo-15?variant=1107662665
SVS: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc12-plus
Rythmik Audio: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html
PSA (power sound audio): http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/xs30se

If you can sell your current supercube, I would urge you to go duals

If you only have acceptance/placement options for a single sub, I would then look at JTR or Seaton (I linked the website, because I think BOTH are still creating an improved website/moving the company)

JTR: http://jtrspeakers.com
Seaton: http://www.seatonsound.net

I would look at:

Seaton Submersives (Forum info: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/product-listing-availability-status-and-pricing-3366417)
or
JTRs Captivator S1/1400 (http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-s1/)

I followed some of Archaea's threads about "KC theater crawls and meet-ups" and I believe the overall winner between the two competing brands (JTR Caps, SubMersive) was the Seaton was favored for HT while the Caps for music.

His profile is hyperlinked (^) where you can find threads upon threads discussing some ID company subs/shootouts. The blind 2012 subwoofer shootout seemed very informative: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...sas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012-a.html

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'll second the above, you really shouldn't need additional amplification for a HT setup, (unless you run at reference volume a lot, which I doubt in your described space) the addition of another sub will make the most difference in your space, all the above companies are good options, I would lean toward one that gives you best return option should you not be happy with what you hear, this is one reason SVS comes up so often, contact them with your room specifics they can recommend something for you (btw, they have actually been known to undersell, if they don't think you need something as large as you think, they will tell you) and yes, if you have room for 2, always go with 2, the difference can be quite a lot, esp with a more open floor plan, there's no problem adding a non-matching sub to what you have, subs don't have to match perfectly, but you always can just get one then compare the two as singles, then try them together, this way you can either keep both or decide to return or sell one.
The Supercube I is actually a decent sub, the big problem with DefTech's subs isn't their performance as much as their Bang-4-Buck
Don't use the subs in towers as Subs unless you have none, use the towers as true full range fronts, and don't be afraid to try them set to large if your not using the subs connected to LFE, "it won't hurt anything", just listen to it both ways and choose the settings that you think sounds best to you. Remember most people don't use speakers that are truly Full Range in HT setups, this why the small & 80hz settings are recognized as the standard, but it never hurts to experiment with this, it's up to what you like. Plus, running the towers as Full Range (no LFE input) will be best for 2 channel music also. The only reason I would add additional amplification is if you think the fronts are lacking in volume when listening to music with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just thought I'd give an update. I just ordered the SVS PB13-ultra today!! Very excited to finally hear what all the fuss is about. If I'm happy with it I'll be sure to go duals down the road when budget allows. I think I'll be keeping my cube for my other system. Thanks to everybody that helped, I'll be sure to update after the sub arrives! Hopefully shipping doesn't take too long since I'm in Indiana :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.