AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a pair of BP3000TLs that I have had in a 7.2 configuration along with a CLR 3000 and BPV/X and some in walls back surrounds. I am getting the itch to upgrade front speakers. I have had the 3000s for over 10 years. I am considering moving into the 7000SCs. Unfortunately I can not find anyplace to demo them. Has anyone in the forum had experience with both and can you hear a diff between the two? Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys  /t/1465950/definitive-technology-bp7000sc-verse-bp3000tl#post_23145277


Hi all. I have a pair of BP3000TLs that I have had in a 7.2 configuration along with a CLR 3000 and BPV/X and some in walls back surrounds. I am getting the itch to upgrade front speakers. I have had the 3000s for over 10 years. I am considering moving into the 7000SCs. Unfortunately I can not find anyplace to demo them. Has anyone in the forum had experience with both and can you hear a diff between the two? Thanks.

Something new? My feeling is that the BP7000SC will soon be history as well. The BP7001SC is already history.


I used to own the BP7000SC. My gut feeling is that even if they are better than the BP3000, it will be relatively insignificant due to diminishing returns.


Have you auditioned the new KEF R-series or Revel Performa3 speakers?


Are they better? Diminishing returns again.



My thought is, just keep the BP3000 or go in a totally different direction like Revel or KEF.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
I have just ordered a pair of BP7000SCs to replace my failing NHT VT-3s. I was concerned that the BP7000SC may soon be replaced by a new model but the Def Tech rep that my dealer talked with said that there were currently no plans to replace them. Of course this may not be accurate. I guess only time will tell.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox  /t/1465950/definitive-technology-bp7000sc-verse-bp3000tl#post_23624411


I have just ordered a pair of BP7000SCs to replace my failing NHT VT-3s. I was concerned that the BP7000SC may soon be replaced by a new model but the Def Tech rep that my dealer talked with said that there were currently no plans to replace them. Of course this may not be accurate. I guess only time will tell.

I used to own BP7000SC, so I know how great they can sound. Honestly I enjoyed them immensely.


But towers are really nothing more than bookshelf speakers atop subwoofers.


In fact, a lot of high end speakers are modular in that the midrange/tweeter cabinet sits atop the bass/sub cabinet. The $60K RBH T8 and $4K Phil3 speakers and many other speakers are like this.


IOW, you could easily get monitors (like the RBH Signature SX-61, dealer cost $750/Pr) and put them on stands (like $60/pr wood stands) atop subs (like RBH Signature SX-1010N, dealer cost $750 each) and it would sound as great as the BP7000SC or most towers out there.


When I had the BP7000, I auditioned the RBH T2 speakers, which consists of a RBH monitor atop the RBH 1010 sub. And they were absolutely comparable.


But that's just one example. There are a lot of monitors and great subs to choose from.



Anyway, the BP7000 is a great sounding speaker IMO. It's $5K, though.



I just don't think you need to spend that much to sound as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
I agree with AcuDTguy. I own a pair of BP7001's and if I could do it over again I would buy a pair of SVS PB12's and a pair of studio monitor 450's sitting on top and gotten far better bass response with comparable upper range for far less money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1  /t/1465950/definitive-technology-bp7000sc-verse-bp3000tl#post_23627282


I agree with AcuDTguy. I own a pair of BP7001's and if I could do it over again I would buy a pair of SVS PB12's and a pair of studio monitor 450's sitting on top and gotten far better bass response with comparable upper range for far less money.[/quot



I agree that the built in subs in the towers can be easily beaten by a free standing sub. That being said, 450's are not bipolar and would not produce the same sound pattern. The old non powered towers (bp 30, 20 etc) were the price/performance leaders.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top