AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm comparing two subs for sale for around the same price on Ebay. I had never heard of Definitive Technology before and was skeptical but I read some good things. Still, this little box claims to produce 700 watts?? Really? I doubt it. Meanwhile this big Yamaha only claims to produce 42 watts? Has anyone had any experience with either of these or any good recommendations? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would pass on both of those. What is your budget, what gear do you currently have, and what are you looking for in a sub?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Curious as to why?

I have had the DT0028 for about 15 years and have been pretty happy with it.
There are much more capable units for the same price or less.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
id totally go with the DT if it was 80, that Yamaha looks like a soundbar subwoofer

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
For $80? Really?

I would love some suggestions to check out.
At $80, the Def Tech is prolly the best you can do. I was thinking the $399 price of a new one. But I think it would be a waste of $80 to buy it, when $150 could buy a Dayton Sub-1200 and get much better performance.

IMHO, if you're that strapped for cash, HT equipment is the last thing you should be looking to buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At $80, the Def Tech is prolly the best you can do. I was thinking the $399 price of a new one. But I think it would be a waste of $80 to buy it, when $150 could buy a Dayton Sub-1200 and get much better performance.

IMHO, if you're that strapped for cash, HT equipment is the last thing you should be looking to buy.
Some people are just working within a budget, and trying to put something decent together for cheap. Not wanting to spend more doesn’t mean they’d have to tap into their food budget to buy a more expensive piece of equipment, or that they’re strapped for cash, just that they prefer not to spend that much on home theater right now. You can put a great home theater together for next to nothing if you’re patient and look for deals. If I think about the pieces of gear I’ve picked up at goodwill over the last 2 years, I could put together a home theater that’s quite good for next to nothing. Here’s a system I could have built from those finds:

Denon AVR-4308 w/remote (MSRP $2500) $25
Denon DVD-2500BTCI Bluray (MSRP $1000) $10
Paradigm Eclipse BP Towers (MSRP $2000) $20 (front speakers)
Def Tech BP10 Towers (MSRP $1000) $15 (rear speakers)
Definitive Technology C1 or Paradigm CC-370 Center Channel Speaker (MSRP $400) $5
Paradigm PS1200 Subwoofer (MSRP $600) $10
58” Panasonic Plasma 3D THX w/remote and glasses (MSRP $3500) $30
APC Back UPS PRO 1500 (MSRP $200) $5
Logitech Harmony 700 Remote (MSRP $100) $1
Audioquest Interconnects (MSRP $200) $2
HDMI cables (2) $2

So there’s a system that would have cost $12,000 new that could have been put together for $125 that would blow the snot out of anything anyone could buy used for 5x that amount. The used price isn’t an indication of quality, it’s an indication of how much you’re saving lol.
The $80 Def Tech isn’t the best he can do, but he could do worse. I bought a Velodyne the other day for $5 at Goodwill that’s every bit as good as the DT, if not better. I realize this is an old thread, I just want any new readers to know that there are alternatives to what’s available online for sale, that’s all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts