AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm currently looking to buy a pair of one of these and I need some help deciding between them. I'll be starting off with a 2.0 set-up, so I'm looking for full range fronts. These will be going in my living room which is about 18' x 12' with vaulted ceilings, that go from 8' up to 11'. The living room shares part of a side and opens into my dining room, which is approximately 15' x 15' with 8' ceilings. They will be used for 90% HT and about 10% video games, not much 2 channel audio at all (but maybe this will increase if I enjoy the speakers). My receiver will be a Pioneer Elite SC-05.

I'm in a condo plus I have an 11 month old, so a stand-alone subwoofer would not be used to it's full potential at this point, although I do plan to go to a full 5.1 in the future. I have listened to the Mythos ST's for over an hour at Abt and I think they sound pretty good for both music and movies. I have not heard the BP7001sc's, but I did listen to the BP7002's for a few minutes with movies at Best Buy and was surprised how good they sounded. I do know that neither set-up was the best listening environment.

Based on my current set-up, I will not be able to have the BP7001sc's more than 5-8" from the back wall, so I'm not sure if I even should consider them if I can't give them the space they need.

Knowing that I will be going to a full 5.1 with a solid subwoofer in the future (I'm thinking an Epik Phoenix), are the ST's or 7001's a waste, even though they will be run at full range for the time being?

Thanks for the help.

Jason

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Just an fyi. the 7001's have been discontinued. Make sure you can still get them. I have had definitive bipolars for several years now. A few years back I had 2002tl's which have since been replaced by 7002's. I decided it was time for an upgrade. I auditioned the mythos st's along with several other speakers from different companies. I listened to some 7001's and was sold. It could be because I was used to the bipolar sound stage which I enjoy so much. The mythos were very good too. Just personal preference. I run 2 outboard subs in my system so I wouldn't be conserned about future overkill. The mythos are less fussy about room placement if that is a big consern.

Here is a discription of the bipolar soundstage that I agree with

Experts agree that bipolar speakers are absolutely superior for both music and home theater. What is responsible for the unequaled sonic performance of Definitive's bipolar speakers? Quite simply, each speaker incorporates two complete sets of drivers, one facing forward and the other facing to the rear. Thus, their bipolar speakers radiate the full sonic spectrum both forward and rearward in an omnidirectional pattern, exactly as sound is produced in real life. The sonic benefits you hear are dramatic! This unique technology provides you with a lifelike balance of early-arrival sound information, which provides focus, clarity and location data, and properly delayed late-arrival information, which conveys the lush three-dimensional soundstage of a live music or cinematic performance. This combination creates a huge soundfield which is rich, warm, ultra clear and vibrantly alive. In addition, the special driver topology, as well as their wide dispersion, assures a superb panorama of lifelike sound for every listener in your room wherever they sit or stand. Most importantly, however, Definitive's bipolar speakers make the walls of your room seem to disappear and, in effect, expand the size of your room into the soundspace of the live event your system is reproducing. They will literally bring your music and movies to life in your home. One listen and you can never go back to conventional speakers again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have checked with a few online def tech authorized dealers and they still had some 7001's in stock. My concern with the 7001's is that if I have them too close to the rear wall, that I will either end up with muddy bass, or that I will have to turn down the bass so much that I really lose the advantage they "should" have in that department vs. the ST's. I am a basshead at heart, so I want as much as I can get from the fronts while I'm sub-less, without sacrificing quality. I know I'd be happy with the ST's, I just don't want to think "what if" I had gotten the 7001's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.