AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, any help would be appreciated here. I was using my system just last night and everything seemed fine. I got home tonight and one of my 2006TLs was all screwed up! I live alone, so no one could have used the system since last night. The speakers are plugged into a surge suppressor. I turned everything on, and the left speaker started creating a rumbling sound that just got louder and louder - it sounded like a jet was taking off. No other sound will come out of the speaker at all, but as long as there is power to the speaker I get the "afterburner". The LED on the back of the speaker is on, and the speaker interconnects seem to be connected properly. Too pissed to troubleshoot tonight but if it turns out to be the speaker it makes the second 2006 that went belly up in as many months. Did I mention they are only a little over 3 months old?

Anyone know what this might be? Bad crossover perhaps?

BTW, this is the setup - Denon 3802, MIT Terminator 2 speaker interconnects, 2 BP2006TLs, C/L/R2300, and 2 BP2Xs. PS2 with optical interconnect for DVD and CD.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Banned
806 Posts
You should definitely complain to the dealer about this...maybe they can give you a set of 2002TL's :)

Did they fix your previous speaker and return it to you, or did they give you a brand new set?

Generally Def Tech seems to have pretty good reliability...who knows what the deal is with the 2006TL's.

You might want to contact Definitive about the problem. http://www.definitivetech.com for info. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They replaced the last one. Called Definitive, they say what I am describing is a bad subwoofer amp. Called my dealer and they are going to fix this one. F---ing pain in the ass. 2 weeks minimum. Any of their speakers manufactured in the good 'ol USA? Mine weren't.

BTW - What is up with the forum today? Slow as death.

Ron

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had trouble with the BP2006 too. They keep clipping the Receiver. The factory says they have a "beefier" crossover coil, they're sending them to me for free (they did offer to have the factory fix them or the dealer).

I thought $600 bought alot of Chinese speaker...I never would have bought these if I knew they were built in CHINA!

Designed and imported to Def Tech in Baltimore, Maryland. I guess we don't have the skills to build audio speakers in this country anymore.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
I thought $600 bought alot of Chinese speaker...I never would have bought these if I knew they were built in CHINA!
I'm pretty sure half the stuff you use on a daily basis is infact made in China (including the cloths on your back), and you probably don't have any complaints!

The issue at stake in this particular case is likely to be one of poor quality control implemented by the manufacturer - the same sort of thing that goes on everywhere in the world, inlcuding the good 'ol US of A.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Probably both the high and low level. The high has the actual output transistors, low is the input board with terminals, jacks, etc..

You shouldn't have too much hassle getting it fixed through your dealer, at least if they have good customer service. They'll need to order the amps from Def Tech though, in MD, so add that time to the total repair time (unless they can arrange to do an exchange, of course).

Aaron Gilbert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I have a problem with a company that designs speakers in the USA, has it built in China and then sells them in America.

You just can't walk out back and make certain that all of the improvements and modifications are being made. My replacement speakers were supposed to have the newer crossovers in them since they were Mfg in October 2001 and the change was "assumed" to be made in May 2001. I guess the factory in China couldn't interpret English orders from Maryland or maybe they were just to cheap to throw away the defective crossovers...just use'em up, no one will notice, he,he,he.

I guess we don't have the talent to use glue and screwdrivers in the US anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by igottabuyit
Yes, I have a problem with a company that designs speakers in the USA, has it built in China and then sells them in America.

I guess we don't have the talent to use glue and screwdrivers in the US anymore.
I would say that we easily have the talent, but when the local 409 (or whatever Union number) says that USA speaker builders get $23/hr. and Mr. Fong in China will do it for $23 per month, well, you can see who gets the business.

I notice that many people here buy Divas because they are cheaper due to the fact the DIY speakers have relatively cheap (free) labor. Not too different from Definitive's choices...

Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
A few years back all Definitive speakers were made in the USA. I guess once a company gets popular it is worth it for them to switch production locations. I am surprised the 2006tls are made there, however. I thought it was mostly their less expensive stuff like the pro-monitor series.

Its is a sad situation when Lee Ho Fook will work a week for a bowl of rice. Eventually if all manufactuer's took advantage of the cheap labor over seas no one here will have a good enought job to afford Def Tech speakers.

I bet Lee Ho Fook's system is a Lenoxx Sound

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hallo Frank,

I don't know where you heard the name before or whether you have been to Malaysia. Lee Ho Fook happens to be a premium chain of chinese restaurants in Malaysia. Yes they serve rice but I assure you some of their better cooks are paid more than a young and struggling MD!

Irony aside, I don't see what the fuss about locating manufacturing overseas is. The problem is not relocation, rather it is QC, pure and simple. Every day we open our newspapers and there are news of MNC's setting up factories overseas to bring down costs.

Just this morning AMD announced the setting up a plant in S'pore to be the largest manufacturer for their CPU chips worldwide. If I look out of my windows (the opening not the OS) I can see one of the largest Texas Instruments factory in existence.

Why do LHF work for a bowl of rice per week? Interesting question. If a person has no opportunities what will be his priority? Posting to a forum or working his guts out to keep his children from starving?

Every country follows a development curve. If you have been to China recently, you will be amazed at some of the recent developments. Yes this growth is patchy and not evenly distributed throughout the country. In my ancestry village three years ago, there is still a single classroom for the whole settlement. But isn't this true at some stage for the good US of A? Remember Little House on the Prairie?

I think we should put the blame on both the factory and Def. Tech's QC. We can all vote with our pockets. If we don't support operations like this we don't buy from these companies.

Fact is relocating manufacturing overseas is going to be more common. There are companies doing this successfully like NAD and Rotel with manufacturing plants in China, Malaysia and Taiwan.

Sorry for being off topic. Back to Def. Tech. This company seems to have some rather innovative products and give a good bang for the money. If you scan most magazines DT advertise regularly especially in the more midfi mags like Sound and Vision, Home Theater. Makes you wander where their spending goes to.

One last comment. LHF (the restaurant not the man) uses JBL's speakers.

Regards.[post]

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local dealer told me Polk speakers (based in Baltimore, as is Def. Tech, right?) are now made in Mexico, not Baltimore.

It's that giant sucking sound.

I think as long as the company executes the production well, it shouldn't matter where it's made (except to the U.S. workers who have to find work elsewhere).

As far as things being made in China, I have a feeling you ain't seen nuthin' yet. See where we are in 10 years....:D

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm sure Def Tech would relocate manufacturing back to the USA if you would willingly pay double for your speakers. HiFi is one of the few consumer electronics still made in the USA(esp. speakers). Most of the high-end is designed and assembled in the US. There are a multitude of high-end manufacturers that sell quality electronics(at premium prices of course) made in the USA.

·
Registered
235 Posts
>>He was lookin for a place called Lee Ho Fook's....Going to get a big dish of beef chowmein

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your source. Rather obscure, maybe there is a branch in London!

If you happen to drop by to Malaysia, perhaps we can have a meal together!

Warmest regards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.