AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am about to pick up a pair of the def tech BP7004's and i had some questions about calibrating my system and the speakers built in subs.

So first you should know i'm upgrading my receiver to a yamaha rx-v663, because i'm getting a killer deal.

So i guess my questions are:

1. What is the best way to hook these up to maximize not only sound but sub quality seeing as I do not have a sub?

- how whould i hook them up to achieve this?

2. What is the LFE?

3. Will using the yamaha YPAO audio calibration for my room adjust the settings for the built in subs? or how do I go about doing that?

4. Does anyone have any recommend settings for me?

Thanks

·
The Village Idiot
9,768 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
just run a single simple speaker wire to each tower just as if you were hooking up a regular pair of full-range towers.

don't bother with RCA cables or the LFE inputs on the towers, you don't need them

go into your receiver's menu and set your mains to "large" and subwoofer to "none"

the LFE channel, any re-directed bass and of course the bass from the main channels will be set to the towers via the speaker wire

you should use an SPL meter and some test tones to set the volume knobs on the sub sections of the towers but if you don't have those tools, play a bunch of your favorite CD's and adjust them by ear till the bass sounds balanced. start with the volume knobs around 11 o'clock

then you can use the YPAO built into your Yamaha receiver for final tweaking

to answer question #2 LFE stands for (low frequency effects) it is the .1 channel in 5.1 6.1 and 7.1 that carries the heavy bass effects but if you hook everything up like i described, you don't need to worry about that channel

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
What OTK recommended will work fine. However, I would recommend you try a Y-splitter out of the base out on your receiver and run LFE to both LFEs on your 7004s. I have BP2006s and I found the base to be stronger with the LFE cable than speaker cable only. I know people say it shouldn't matter, but I could hear the difference. Maybe it was my receiver, I don't know. I eventually added a SC1 sub, so I don't have it set up that way anymore, but I think you should at least try it.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
low level feeds are hotter than high level feeds

the reason you're getting "stronger bass" with the RCA's is because you're getting more signal, the equivalent to turning the volume knobs up on the sub section of the towers. this is why it seems "stronger"

RCA's could also introduce the problem of hum and other noise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so thanks for the help guys.

however now i'm debating between the rx-v663 and the 863. Any thoughts? my xbox 360 is old and only has component out, I have blu-ray and comcast which would take the both the HDMI ports. However, I really dont need the hd tuner or extra audio settings.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by timmy1703:

however now i'm debating between the rx-v663 and the 863. Any thoughts? my xbox 360 is old and only has component out, I have blu-ray and comcast which would take the both the HDMI ports. However, I really dont need the hd tuner or extra audio settings.

I have found the more power the better, it's up to you.

otk, thanks for the tip on why the RCAs seamed stronger. That will help with future setups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.