AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fragment in HD is the bottlnet in all PC.

I wonder how the Replay unit deal with fragmentation in the harddrive. Is the Replay defrag the HD in a regular basis.

In the 243 zone, there is an Option call Refresh Partition. Does anyone know what it does?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
can't be defragged by user unless you want to delete all your shows...search for the word 'partition' and you'll find boat-loads of info

refresh partiton don't do nothing

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Pretty much the file size is so large in the replay that defrag isn't considered a problem. There isn't any defrag software built in. You can defrag to 99.8% by deleting all recordings. If you want to defrag 100% do a 777 zones.

Refresh partition can only function if the MPG partition is in a dire state. I don't know the exact condition that allows the command to execute but I've only seen it work once and that was on a corrupted hard disk. All other times I selected "Refresh partition" it had no effect.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Some filesystems are designed to not "frag" in the first place... such as the Unix File System. Can files fragment? Certainly.

But, look at it this way: What is the smallest show you can record? 30 minutes. How many megs is that? Lots. And if you do stuff on HQ your at Gigs. So, in general the biggest fragment you might have is a Gig here or there.

Say you record everything in HQ, do and hour show, then a 30 minute show, then an hour then another 30. If you delete the first 30, the next show you record, say its an hour, may fill in the missing 30 then append at the end of the used space. That file may have two fragments... each of which is probably close to 1.2 Gigs. No biggy. Windows users would kill for those percentages. (Unix users need not worry... most of the time UFS and its variants, find contiguous space of the correct size. They also don't just find the first free block and use it. Which is why when duplicating a 4gig partition and you only have "used" 2 gigs, its a very bad idea to just copy the first 2 gigs of raw space.)

I realize I didn't do a very good job at explaining this, sorry.

blah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.