AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recently purchased a pair of 8080 super-towers, and hooked them up to my pioneer elite. It sounds awesome, but DefTech recommends Denon receivers. It took a while to get them sounding good with the pioneer, and in the process, I had to disable everything MCACC.

My question is, is the VSX-31 a decent amplifier, or should I consider upgrading? Please, no MCACC vs. Audyssey. I'm looking for real experience with people who own or have owned the VSX-31 or similar.

I have a NAD 3020, its only stereo, but the VSX-31 does not pre-amp, and I'm not willing to sacrifice surround sound.

·
Premium Member
92,607 Posts
Not sure why the tech would have made that recommendation other than perhaps the Denon might be easier to setup (another Def Tech rep I just spoke to was confused as to why that recommendation would have been given to you and indicated the speakers work equally well with both brands). If you're not using MCACC at all and are satisfied with the performance of the AVR, then enjoy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You may be right, I may have made a false assumption that it was a def-tech rep that recommended it. I may have heard it elsewhere.

Sound quality wise, do most the high end consumer electronics offer the same sound quality, but different options? Is there an advantage in quality on such "top of the line"receivers such as Anthem, Marantz, NAD, McIntosh, etc.?

I realize that most consumer electronics make sales by offering options, but what about quality?. I don't want to hinder my system by using a less than quality receiver. At the same time I'm running $3000 BP-8080ST's (which I wouldn't trade for anything else I have heard) I'm not powering, say, $9000 Revel Ultima2's (which I haven't heard).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I did use it, when I had my BP-8's. It worked all right, but when I got the 8080's I had trouble getting them to blend. They were to bright. So I took a look at the EQ, started adjusting it, and as I brought everything flat, fidelity and quantity increase.

So, yes, I did use it, calibrated it multiple times, and at the end of the day, it sounded better flat.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you found an answer to your solution? I read the manual on the BP8080st and i know it states that you should not use the calibration (although, I am under the understanding you can use it for speaker distance and level). I too have a Pioneer Elite receiver and am in the middle of building a home theater. I've been considering the bp8080st's. Your resolution would go a long way for me deciding what to do. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you found an answer to your solution? I read the manual on the BP8080st and i know it states that you should not use the calibration (although, I am under the understanding you can use it for speaker distance and level). I too have a Pioneer Elite receiver and am in the middle of building a home theater. I've been considering the bp8080st's. Your resolution would go a long way for me deciding what to do. Thanks
I was disappointed with the Pioneer, so I went with a NAD T758. It auto calibrates distance and level, and I have been happy ever since.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I was disappointed with the Pioneer, so I went with a NAD T758. It auto calibrates distance and level, and I have been happy ever since.
Thanks! I'll have to take a look into this receiver. I just want to buy it one last time and forget about it. It's good to know the NAD is a good way to go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts