AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body else notice that the Definintive stuff lately hasn't been the same?

·
Registered
255 Posts
We had a pair of Mythos towers come back to our MHT store a few weeks ago because of glue leaking out of the top covers, and one of the top covers actually being loose, and eventually it fell off. I also just grabbed a ProSub 800 for myself, and it definitely has some sort of humming (not grounding) issue.

That said, out of the hundreds of Definitive speakers I have sold, those are the only issues I've personally seen. As such, I'm still pleased overall with their build quality.

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagPro4 /forum/post/12974489

Any body else notice that the Definintive stuff lately hasn't been the same?

No. I always thought Def Tech sucked.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
My Def Techs are built like tanks (as well as sounding awesome.) Of course, they are also a few years old so that may have changed since I bought them.

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
I work with most brands in my work and I find Definitive to be the worst that I see when it comes to quality control and build quality. Many have had failed drivers, volume knobs that do not work, inverted polarity and cabinets that are falling apart.

In my mind they are the Monster Brand of speaker companies. Heavy on the marketing and strong on little else. This is not to say they cannot sound good. I just do not find them to be a good value or quality brand. I know at CEDIA they put a strong push on their margins for retailers.

I will say most owners are completely unaware of their problems if they are sound related until I test their system and point them out. I also find more serious failures and problems with audio equipment than video by about 50 to 1.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i like the sound of my 5 def techs....but the clr2300 does have what appears to be glue showing between the cap and cloth grill. With that said I have seen build quality issues and minor blemishes such as this with many other speaker brands...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I guess I'll count myself as one of the lucky ones then. No problems so far, and I've owned them for a little over two years now.

I know I will probably take a beating for this but hey, I love my Def Tech's, always have and probably always will.

·
Registered
657 Posts
DefTech = Bose = Price

DefTech is like a twin siblings of Bose whose price are always MSRP. No mark down whatsoever. You can't hardly find them online either. **************.com has them - showing the price and stock status - but if you want to buy them you have to call them up.

Mythos series seem and feel solid. The other series seem cheap with saggy cloth grill.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've heard stories of the tops popping off, but that's about it. I've seen other speakers have their own issues as well.

I've been looking into the BP7002s for a while, but I'm also considering Monitor RS6 and PSP Image T65. The real reason I'm looking at the DTs is the BB discount.

·
Registered
206 Posts
DefTech = Bose = Price

DefTech is like a twin siblings of Bose whose price are always MSRP. No mark down whatsoever. You can't hardly find them online either. **************.com has them - showing the price and stock status - but if you want to buy them you have to call them up.

Whatever

Actuaully not true at all. I was able to negotiate my speaker package for about 25% off msrp from Magnolia right here in the Seattle area. They have sales all the time. So what the heck are you talking about?

I am not saying that you have to like Def Tech's, but let's not just make things up, just to be able to compare them to Bose.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDucky /forum/post/12981230

DefTech = Bose = Price

So what the heck are you talking about?

I have never said I didn't like DefTech. Mythos One makes me drool!

Fact is fact and I don't make things up price wise. Mythos One display at $899.99 each at Magnolia/Bestbuy. DefTech site listed Mythos One MSRP $899.99. So there it is.

Also I did not say DefTech craftmanship/performance = Bose. I was only compared price schematically. DefTech sells MSRP price, so does Bose sells MSRP price.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I totally misunderstood you. I guess I was a little on the defensive because I just read a few posts above yours, Def Tech sucks. So...sorry bout that.

They are more difficult to find on sale, but it can be done. The best time is probably mid summer. There is a place in Texas that has a buy one speaker, then get the second one at 50% off. The sales are out there, you just have to time it right, and then present your case as part of your negotiations. And Magnolia likes to come across that they don't come on sale, but.....this is just simply not true. It just means it is time to start "playing the game." (which I don't like playing, but sometimes you have to)

Also, check this place out http://www.digitalcraze.com/Details.asp?ProductID=1677

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's no problem.

There are not many retailers here in Massachusetts sell DefTech besides Magnolia/BB.

digitalcraze: Yikes! 5% fee for just canceling order. 7 days for returns + 15% restocking fee. I would probably stay local and buy from brick/mortar store even at msrp tag. At least can return in 30 days with no fee or questions

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Speakers are very subjective and strictly depend on personal preference. That's why a person immediately loses all credibility with me when he or she claims a certain brand is far superior than another.

As far as quality is concerned, I'd recently purchased a set of 7001s and am quite impressed. They came very well packaged and their overall finish is really beautiful.

I normally listen to music on a set of large Magnepans, but I must say that I'm really impressed with the tight base and openness that the 7001s bring to the room. They really thrive on the 400 watts a channel from the McIntosh amp; music sounds silky smooth and very full, even at moderate listening levels. And don't be afraid to turn up the volume, the more power you feed these puppies the better they like it. Yeah, I'm quite happy with these speakers.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My only experience with DefTechs are the Mythos STs and their corresponing

surround/center speakers the Mythos 10 & 8.

Anybody who questions the build quality of these speakers hasn't seen them!

They are as solid as a rock and then some

How DefTech brings these speakers to market for so little money, compared to the competition,

is beyond me.

dc

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I own Mythos for two years now, they are excellent build quality, no issues at, equating Deftech. with Bose is kind of unfair, Bose should not be compared to any speakers. for comparison one need spec from BOSE whcich does not exist escept of diemsnsions.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts