AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 7 years is all she wrote. I've recently upgrade my HT to include the Sony BDP-S550 Blu Ray player. We've watched a few movies so far, including Hancock, Dark Knight, etc. A couple of nights ago, we were about mid-way through The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor when I heard a couple of serious clips then a brief moment of FLAMES coming from the back of the PF15TL+!!
It totally freaked me out (althought the kids enjoyed it). I immediately unplugged it and noticed the side of the SW cabinet was very warm. After replacing the fuse the next day, it was apparent that she is indeed dead........the signal is received from the AVR but no output.

So, I don't know what caused it........old age, past it's prime and can't handle blu-ray, etc? Whatever the cause, I'm just glad the meltdown wasn't worse than what it was. Now I search for a replacement as I'm sure it's not worth repairing. DefTech has been good to me over the years in other ways but I feel the need to move on. If anyone has a comparable replacement suggestion, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just for the record, you saw flames coming coming out of your subwoofer so you put a new fuse in and plugged it back in???

Did you exclaim "Hey Ya'll, Watch This!" before doing so???

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I recently replaced a 15TL. I think you are in for a pleasant surprise. I think for its time the 15TL was OK but there is a lot better things out there now.

I replaced mine with HSU ULS-15 Dual drive and I am very happy.

You need to provide some information if you want concise suggestions.

What is the budget? The bigger the better.

How large is the room and is it open to other rooms, if so how large are they? The smaller the better.

How large of a sub box can you handle? The 15TL was relatively small for a 15" sub. The bigger the better and somewhat cheaper.

Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq /forum/post/15422920

Just for the record, you saw flames coming coming out of your subwoofer so you put a new fuse in and plugged it back in???

I put in a new fuse the next day......in a different room......nobody around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15423002

I recently replaced a 15TL. I think you are in for a pleasant surprise. I think for its time the 15TL was OK but there is a lot better things out there now.

I replaced mine with HSU ULS-15 Dual drive and I am very happy.

You need to provide some information if you want concise suggestions.

What is the budget? The bigger the better.

How large is the room and is it open to other rooms, if so how large are they? The smaller the better.

How large of a sub box can you handle? The 15TL was relatively small for a 15" sub. The bigger the better and somewhat cheaper.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the HSU and it looks to be a front-runner. My budget is "around" $1k, give or take a couple hundred. The room is 20'x15' and is open to another room of about the same size. The 15TL+ uses a 17" cabinet and works perfectly with regards to size........big is good.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
That's a pretty big room.

You need a lot of output to fill that room. Could you fit Dual subs? If you could I might suggest 2 HSU VTF 3.3.

I would also look at SVS PB Ultra, SVS PC Ultra. You need some Mojo to do it right. A single of all of the above will outdo the 15TL.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq /forum/post/15422920

thanks for that. i actually laughed my ass off here at work. made my day LOL

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedunk /forum/post/15423291

The 15TL+ uses a 17" cabinet and works perfectly with regards to size........big is good.

Compared with today's premiere ported subwoofers, 17" is fairly small. If you need something of comparable size, then any of the sealed Rythmik subwoofers deserve a look.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../subintro.html
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

If you can accept a larger size and can go dual (for the add'l output), then a pair of Outlaw LFM-1 EX's are worth consideration (save $100 on a pair).
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.