AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of a 3.1 setup. If the front L/R speakers are Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's, which center channel should be paired with these?

Is it supposed to be the ProCenter 1000 or the ProCenter 2000? Reason I ask is because the ProCenter 2000 is found almost nowhere now, but the drivers match the PM 1000's in size (5.25"). However it seems like most places sell the ProCenter 1000 alongside the ProMonitor 1000, even though the PC1000 only has 2 4.5" drivers. It seems like the DefTech website makes it sound like the PC1000 does indeed pair with the PM1000's, but I want to make sure that combo wouldn't be too underwhelming for use when watching movies. On the other hand, they also mention that the 2000 Center pairs with the 1000 Monitors as well.

So I guess my real question is, am I OK with a ProCenter 1000, or do I need to spend extra and look around for the ProCenter 2000? Anybody have experience with trying both out to see the difference?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The PC1000 is still a great center speaker and it can work with the PM 1000 well. My initial setup was 2 PM1000s an a PC1000 as a center. It sounded really good and I had no problems with it. However the PC2000 is a more capable speaker. You can check the bajawaverunner store on ebay for factory refurb stuff and see if he has a PC2000. Prices are usually around 40 percent off of new.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
That's what I was afraid to hear. The cost difference between the two is pretty gigantic relative to the price of the speakers.
Yes, the 2000 is the better of the two and the match to the PM1000's.
As mentioned above bajawaverunner will have them deeply discounted, but you'll have to wait for them to come around to be available again, they cleared a lot of stock over the holiday.
If you don't mind used, also check e-bay for the older models that would match, CLR2002 would be the cube shaped one -or- C-2 would be the wedge shaped one.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hrmmmm

Wondering how much better the 1000/2000 combo would be than the 800/1000 combo.

Can buy the 800's for $90/each on eBay and the 1000 center for like $130. Would the PM1000s w/ the PC2000 really be worth 2x the cost?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another option (if your setup will accommodate it), would be to buy another PM1000 to use as your center channel.
I personally prefer a very strong Center channel (probably to the point where most members on here would find it unbalanced). I constantly find myself struggling to track vocals/dialogue when watching movies. So I'd prefer a center w/ multiple drivers.

·
Registered
23,799 Posts
I personally prefer a very strong Center channel (probably to the point where most members on here would find it unbalanced). I constantly find myself struggling to track vocals/dialogue when watching movies. So I'd prefer a center w/ multiple drivers.
I'd try this first, cheap and risk-free if you order it shipped site to store---you might be very surprised at the difference a horn tweeter makes:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH6-LCR-Dual-6-1-2-175W-Bookshelf-LCR-Speaker/10298559

Review:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1DYBWMB71UQXB/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
This center channel would match the DefTech PM1000's?

Also, wouldn't I be better off going w/ Klipsch if I wanted horn tweeters?
The horn tweeter will make a difference, so much so that the odds of it matching are extremely small.

If your worried about cost, the C-2 I mentioned earlier can usually be found on e-bay for $100 or less w/ shipping and will match very well, same drivers, just the older version of the same tweeter. It's an extremely clear and full sounding Center.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If looking new and around the price if the PC2000, the CS8040HD is on sale for 350 currently, as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If looking new and around the price if the PC2000, the CS8040HD is on sale for 350 currently, as well.
And that center will sonically match the PC1000's?

I can handle a center channel of any size, but my L/R have to be wall-mounted so they must be smallish and easily wall-mountable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts