AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I could not be more of a newbie but I am very interested in learning all I can about home theatre systems. That being said, I do not know too much and could use some advise on my first ever home theatre set up at 33 years of age!

I recently acquired:

42" Pioneer plasma tv

PlayStation 3

Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS receiver

NO SPEAKERS YET!

I went to a local audio / video store in the hood that carried mostly Paradigm, Energy, and Definitive Technology speakers.

After a lot of chatting, the saleman had me down to the StudioCinema 350 or ProCinema 1000 speaker systems. He mentioned the 1000's would cost a little more @ $1300 and I could get the 350's for about $1100. He mentioned that the 350's were more of a powerful speaker and a much better deal. The 350 is quite an old system from what I researched on the internet and I can find little to no info on them (which sort of turns me off) whereas the 1000's are all over the place and look to be quite good.

So, the question...can anyone tell me what the better set up would be? The 350's or 1000's? Are the 1000's worth the extra money?

My room is about 12 X 16, if that helps.

Please remember, I am new but want to learn...

PS - my girlfriend wants the 1000's because they are "cuter" and she is actually the one who bought me the receiver for my b-day. Jeesh!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The 350s aren't that old, they came out 3 years ago. I have owned them, but moved up to bi-polar power towers. You dealer must be giving you a better detail on the 350, because the 350s have a higher retail price than the 1000s. I feel the 350s are superior. With the 3 different woofers they give a detailed clear crisp sound. Did you listen to them both? Your own personal taste will matter.

You didn't' really say if you were going to use 5, 350s all the way around or some other combo. Also, do the 1000s come with the Pro Center 1000? If so, swap it out for the PC 2000. I don't have enough detail on how big the speakers can be, how much room you have for a center, etc. Ideally if you are using those two I would have the have the 350s as the 3 front and the 1000s for surround. If you can afford it or have the room, move up to the CLR 2002 or even better the 2500 for center. The front sound stage is most important.

If HT is your priority listen to them both with dialogue. I think you will find the 350s better. They will also carry more bass with that 8 woofer. They are great speakers I miss mine. I tried using them as surrounds but my wife didn't like the size of them hanging on the wall.

In summary:

1. IMHO, 350s are better.

2. Front sound stage is most important for HT see bottom of paragraph to.

3. If you go with the 1000s make sure you upgrade to the PC 2000.

4. Listen to both with your own source material.

Have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Lowell. I did listen to both and found the 350's had a fuller sound but I am sure this depends on receeiver set up etc at home.

The set up I am looking at is:

350's in the fornt

CLR 2002 for center channel ( wow, pretty big )

BP 1.2X in the rear

with a 10" ProSub 100TL

All this for $1100.

I am pretty set on the 350's, I was just worried I was missing out on "newer" technology with the 1000 set up.

Thanks for your help!

Next challenge, setting it all up properly...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Seisguy,

That sounds like a pretty good deal. After having bought the 1.2X in the rear, I would go with the 2X if you have that option to upgrade. The 2X will match woofer sizes all the way around as well.

I am not happy with the 1.2X, but it may be that I don't like the "where is the sound coming from" in the rear bi-polar, I can't make up my mind. Overall though I would go with the 5.25s all the way around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Lowell, for all your input. I ended going with the set up mentioned in my last post. The speakers sound great, especially the CLR 2002 and the 350's. I find the rear BP 1.2X's to be a bit "light" but I have not done much tweaking other than the MCACC (automatic surround sound set up) that the Pioneer VSX-82TXS provides. I also need to fasten them to the wall to get them where they need to be. Incidentally, at what height would you recommend they be placed?

Again, I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Incidentally, at what height would you recommend they be placed?

Great system, I think you will be very happy. I think the Dolby site recommends 6', but I have mine at about 7' and they are fine. Link to the Dolby site: http://dolby.com/consumer/home_enter...oomlayout.html

It's just there is nothing for my 1.2Xs to reflect off of. That might be why I think they are not enough. You can see my pics in the 5th and 10th posts in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=781800

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
I finalized speaker placement in my room with your recommendations and did the MCACC again. Wow, what a difference! They sound excellent!

Thanks for all your help!

Keith,

You are welcome. If only my wife appreciated my home theater advice as much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.