AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could turn out to be very good. Then again, it could end up being Grey's Anatomy in space. But I fear that this show, along with Day One on NBC, are not destined to be around more than a season. Or two. The seemingly really interesting programs always get the axe...

Link to a few trailers:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/defyinggravity/

2-hour series premiere event Sunday August 2nd 9/8c

Sundays 10/9c starting August 9th

Four women and four men hurtle through space with nothing to do for six years and eight billion miles, except maybe solve a powerful and awesome mystery. Maybe, just maybe, some of them will even hook up. How cool is that?

Defying Gravity is a sexy, provocative thriller set in the very near future against the backdrop of our solar system, in which the eight astronauts from five countries undertake a mysterious six-year international space mission on the spaceship Antares.

They can't run from karma, however, as their past actions reveal intimate and interconnected relationships that have a strange effect on the present. As the astronauts travel towards Venus, we travel into their past with flashbacks to earlier years from the grueling selection and training process. What could have happened?

Maybe there is something to this fate thing after all.

·
Banned
591 Posts
Wait a minute.... didn't this same basic plotline just flatline with Ron Moore's 'Virtuality' on FOX...?

This sounds very similar, except maybe with a little 'Melrose Place' added in for spice.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/16865457

This could turn out to be very good. Then again, it could end up being Grey's Anatomy in space.

It is deliberately intended to be "Grey's Anatomy in Space". You quoted the promo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/16865457

Defying Gravity is a sexy, provocative thriller ... intimate and interconnected relationships

My wife and I are looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive /forum/post/16866324

Wait a minute.... didn't this same basic plotline just flatline with Ron Moore's 'Virtuality' on FOX...?

Rather, I believe that the reason why Virtuality was not picked up was because it came from UMC (let's say "NBC"), but meanwhile Fox's production company was producing Defying Gravity which they preferred over Virtuality.

·
Banned
591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/16866964

Rather, I believe that the reason why Virtuality was not picked up was because it came from UMC (let's say "NBC"), but meanwhile Fox's production company was producing Defying Gravity which they preferred over Virtuality.

No doubt, bicker. Moore must have known the studio politics and economics of today's TV landscape were working against him on that project. I'll watch this, of course, I'm a sci-fi junkie.
But based on the description we're reading, I think I would have preferred to see 'Virtuality' get picked up instead of this one. So it goes.

·
Banned
591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/16868439

You don't think Virtuality was going to get soapy?

Well, maybe it would have to an extent (BSG had its share of soapy moments), but I have faith in RDM's ability to create a bleak and dismal world full of grim despair and hopelessness. That kind of stuff makes me happy (happy I ain't them).

Seriously, I do think 'Virtuality' would have been more, well, serious than this looks to be, more of a "hard" brand of science fiction. I see the genre going in the opposite direction - it's what audiences seem to want - and I lament that. But we'll see.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm not in the target demographic for this Disney adventure.

I am glad that Hannah Montana has been replaced with Ruby and the Rockits.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Just saw a TV commercial for August about a show called Defying Gravity.

Just going by the commercial the concept seems to involve sending astronauts into space so they can have sex in zero gravity.

Might be a Canadian only show, not sure if it's in HD but probably is.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
From ABC.com
Quote:
2-hour series premiere event Sunday August 2nd 9/8c

Sundays 10/9c starting August 9th

Four women and four men hurtle through space with nothing to do for six years and eight billion miles, except maybe solve a powerful and awesome mystery. Maybe, just maybe, some of them will even hook up. How cool is that?

Defying Gravity is a sexy, provocative thriller set in the very near future against the backdrop of our solar system, in which the eight astronauts from five countries undertake a mysterious six-year international space mission on the spaceship Antares.

They can't run from karma, however, as their past actions reveal intimate and interconnected relationships that have a strange effect on the present. As the astronauts travel towards Venus, we travel into their past with flashbacks to earlier years from the grueling selection and training process. What could have happened?

Maybe there is something to this fate thing after all.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
Yup done by the production company of the network that decided not to pick up Virtuality.

Defying Gravity is almost deliberately "Grey's Anatomy in Space". If you like Grey's Anatomy, as we do, and you're tempted to tune in Defying Gravity because of its space setting, then I figure you'll probably enjoy the show. We're looking forward to it.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Topics merged.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive /forum/post/16885513

There's already an active thread where we've been discussing this show, only 4 days old. Why start another?

I did not see the old thread. Should of search I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw a test screening of the pilot and few months ago and it seemed pretty interesting to me. Sort of a LOST in space....lots of backstories that needed to be filled in. Not sure if it is great after the first episode, but I am going to give it a chance.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike jones /forum/post/16914060

It does have Christina Cox in it. I'm looking forward to seeing her again. She was very hot in the Chronicles of Riddick

She was also in a Canadian TV series " Blood Ties " that only lasted one season. The DVD is out now. I liked it. Of course it is about Vampires, but it was intellegently done.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb7869 /forum/post/16893998

I saw a test screening of the pilot and few months ago and it seemed pretty interesting to me. Sort of a LOST in space....lots of backstories that needed to be filled in. Not sure if it is great after the first episode, but I am going to give it a chance.

"LOST in space"? Didn't we already have a series called that?

Oh yeah! "Danger, Will Robinson!" "Oh shut up, you bubble-headed booby!"

1 - 20 of 378 Posts