AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to solve this one. I have an interlaced mpeg2 file ripped from a tivo HDD that I want to process.

This is where I gave up:

Virtualdub w/ mpeg2 allows me to stream an avs file to it with avisynth loading the tomsmocomp plugin, but virtualdub doesnt have the ability to direct stream copy an mpeg2 file and just resave as mpeg2... or can it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
QuEnc is a free mpeg2 encoder that supports avisynth input. MEncoder can also do the same (they both use libavcodec for encoding) but is command line only.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You probably will never be able to use direct stream copy but still deinterlace anyway. In other words, once you open it in avisynth, you are going to have to reencode.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Direct stream copy only works when the input stream = output stream, any alterations would require a re-encode. Mostly direct stream copy is used for adding/removing audio or subtitle streams from an av container file.

If you don't want to waste time re-encoding the file and have a powerful enough computer, use FFDShow and tomsmocomp directshow filtering on the video file in real time. It will deinterlace it for you. Depends really on what you want to do with the file in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea in the end, the tivo encoded file is much better quality than any recompressed file i can create. the thing with ffdshow is that it uses libavcodec and not dscaler5. with dvds i can just enable raw video processing, but with mpeg files it seems ffdshow needs to use it's built in decoder, and that puzzles me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.