AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building my HTPC rig, so far its in a Vision case with a SB Audigy platinum, ATI AIW 9700, and some other goodies. It is connected directly to my LCD projector. My Cable and VCR also feed into the HTPC.

Im trying to figure out how to de interlace VCR/Cable inputs into the ATI card, and also upscale DVD playback. I know its possilbe, but Im a hopeless newb who cant find any reference to this in the ATI manual. I would love to try dscaler, but see it does not work with the ATI chips.

Any suggestions? Im SUPER SUPER happy with the HTPC, and the last thing to do is figure out how to deinterlace.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bump

I've been wondering the same thing.

I guess most here use dscaler for the deinterlacing and an ATI card for output. I'd like to know how well the ATI card handles deinterlacing too.

Hopefuly someone can help you.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm not sure if the A.I.W. version is compatible with Dscaler???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the ATI chips are NOT compatable with Dscaler, so I know thats not an option.

1) How do I set the DVD resolution? In other words if I want to upscale it to 720p can I?

2) Can I deinterlace Cable/TV broadcast?

Another problem Im having is my cable is the old analog type with 2 inputs, a and b channels. Im trying to figure out how to input these.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I'm pretty sure on this.. but not 100% so you may want to get a 2nd opinion.

1. ATI chips are NOT compatible with Dscaler

2. To upscale a DVD you just play it using the player of your choice at Full Screen. Whatever signal your video card is outputting at the time, (800x600, 1024x768, 1080i, 720P whatever) your DVD playback will be rescaled/upscaled to that resolution.

3. The ATI TV program included in your AIW software bundle automatically deinterlaces Cable/TV broadcasts. There are settings in the software for auto/bob only/weave only/etc.. If you have preferences you can set them up there.

I'm basing my knowledge off my ATI AIW Radeon32DDR, which should be close to what you are using.. just thats its 2 product generations ago.

As far as the A/B stuff. Unless your card has dual cable inputs your probably looking at getting a manual switchbox.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dscaler does NOT support ATI so that is out of the question.

DVD resolution, great, so I just set my desktop resolution.

Deinterlace cable, this is automatic? Very cool, I know it has a 3 comb filter for the composite.

The A/B channel thing sucks big time, a manual switchbox means I can only use gemstar on one of the sides.

The biggest drawback is that you cant view pay channels like HBO unless you go thru the cable box first, but then you lose ALL functionality of the card like gemstar and PVR, really really big drawback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.