AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get everyone who own a Samsung DLP to report the delay time from pushing the power-on button to either sound or picture first appears. I suspect that the delay time interval changes as the lamp ages. It may be an indicator that the lamp is about to burn out. Please time the interval and report it here with your model number. Thanks.

HLM507W, 22 seconds (from pushing power-button on remote to sound first comes on).

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
pspun:

I have an HLM 507W from the PowerBuy that I got the week before Christmas. I have my sound run through my STB and my receiver so I can get sound before I even turn on the 507. However, using a VERY scientific timing method (i.e, counting "one million, two million," etc. :D ), it takes 20 seconds from hitting the power button until I get an image. I do not think this has changed significantly since we first got the set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey pspun, I bought the HLM437W back in November of 2002. I have 1,011 hours on the original bulb. My set took 22 seconds from the time the power button was pushed until audio & video came onto the screen. Picture & sound came on at the same time.

Keith

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I had to get this exact for my Harmony remote. Everybody else that I talked to that had a Harmony was under 25 seconds, but mine is 30 seconds EVERY time. This is a 507W with "N" internals. I imagine the older ones didn't have the same delay.

See my speculation about the changes in delays in newer firmware here .

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Just about 25 seconds on the dot from cold start to picture and sound on my HLN617W with 204 November 2002 firmware.

Regs,

Jeff

·
Registered
210 Posts
The time delay is normal. There are some steps the set goes through. There seems to be a fixed initial time delay. After this the lamp is fired up, you can here it - it sounds like something spinning up, but is actually the power supply modulating as the lamp arc forms. You will then notice a dim light on the screen as the lamp comes up to power. The light is because the mirrors are still in the neutral, or flat position. A few seconds later the mirrors are angled to the "black" position and the screen snaps to black, followed by a picture shortly thereafter. A delay here is most likely due to a signal from the lamp driver indicating that the lamp current has stabilized to normal levels.

When these lamps start to fail, they have a harder time starting. You will note this by a longer "windup" sound. They also will flicker until they get up to normal temperature when old. You can check by looking at the rear of the set. At the blower grill you can see the lamp's light. If you see a lot of sputtering and flickering when you turn it on, the lamp could be reaching the end of its better life. Also you can pull the lamp. Really old ones get darkened tubes. NEVER touch the actual lamp glass. Skin oils can cause it to rupture when run due to stresses as the oil evaporates.

paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.