AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Purevideo HD is part of the NVidia graphics drivers and is used by the common DVD playback software (PowerDVD, WinDVD, TMT, ShowTime) as well as MPC-HC

It is easy to get Purevideo HD and Purevideo mixed up. Purevideo was a chargeable MPEG-2 decoder for Windows XP for NVidia cards.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
PurevideoHD is not something you install or configure. It's capabilities are built into the hardware and the video drivers, which can be different depending on what card you have and which features nV put in that driver version.

To enable dxva, you have to access the properties page of the video decoder in use, or in mpchc. I'm not sure but I don't think coreAVC supports dxva, but pdvd8 may.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/15437943

PurevideoHD is not something you install or configure. It's capabilities are built into the hardware and the video drivers, which can be different depending on what card you have and which features nV put in that driver version.

To enable dxva, you have to access the properties page of the video decoder in use, or in mpchc. I'm not sure but I don't think coreAVC supports dxva, but pdvd8 may.

CoreAVC does not support hardware accelerated h.264 decoding. You will have to configure your system to use the PowerDVD decoder in MPC. If you need a guide try this: http://ranpha.wordpress.com/page-1/

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfuz /forum/post/15440217

That guide says this...

Its asking me to BLOCK PowerDVD's Decoder... wth?

Its telling you to block PDVD x264 decoder in MPC-HC *only* and to use the x264 decoder thats built into MPC-HC. It will accelerate H264/x264 video files that are compliant with L4.1 specs. The PDVD codec is more problematic in many situations for this. Some folks have it (PDVD x264) working just fine while others cannot get DXVA with it. You will still use that codec for Bluray playback in PDVD, but wil be using the internal codec in MPC-HC for mkv's, etc.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
A lot of misunderstanding and misinformation here.

Go to MPC-HC. Under options select Internal filters.

In the right hand panel (transform filters), select h264/AVC (DXVA). DOuble click on it to configure settings. Depending on the version of MPC-HC you have, you may need to check a box for DXVA.

This ensures that when MPC-HC sees an h264 encoded mkv video, it'll use its internal filter. This filter supports acceleration, using your video card, provided some other conditions are met. One of these is that the mkv video file was encoded with a profile that supports hardware acceleration. Another is that you have to use the right renderer, and that eludes me right now. In any case, being told to disable PowerDVDs filters in order to get DXVA from mkv files, in MPC-HC, without renaming the file format extension, is in no way bad advice!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfuz /forum/post/15436428

As far as I know PowerDVD8 Ultra doesn't play MKV files, unless you rename them to .avi and if they're renamed to avi, then the subtitles in the MKV file (now renamed to .avi) don't work.

correct, also the big thing is that the powerdvd codecs can't tie into a media splitter like Haali. The big thing with MKV's is you need to split the file before they are played back, and because powerdvd doesn't tie into the direct show filters like FFdshow does you can't get hardware acceleration with mkv's using the powerdvd codecs.

Quote:
It was suggested that I get Nvidia PureVideo HD to enable the offloading of the decoding to the GPU, but only players like PowerDVD8 support this hardware acceleration...

"purevideo" the whole thing behind that was only for WMV-HD (vc-1) files as well as mpeg2. and was only DXVA based.

What you are wanting is DVXA2, in which DXVA2 encompasses h.264 and mpeg4 based content.

Nvidia never released a DXVA2 decoder like they did with the nvidia pure video decoders which was again DXVA mpeg2 based. Instead Nvidia left it up to the playback software companies like PowerDVD and Arcsoft to support DXVA2 for nvidia cards inside of the players codecs.

Quote:
It was also recommended that I get Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and not use PowerDVD8 to watch my MKVs. This was so I could actually use the features like subtitles and different audio tracks in an MKV.

I tried that, and didn't like the interface and hardware acceleration never really worked all that well for me, so instead ALL i have installed is Haali media splitter, and FFdshow. Which allows me to use the Vista Media Center interface, gets me sub titles, and alternative audio tracks.

Only thing is I don't get DXVA2 support, but honestly with a good CPU you really don't need it.

Quote:
Am I missing something? PowerDVD8 Ultra enables the offloading to the GPU thanks to Nvidia PureVideo HD but won't play the MKV files, and if I rename them, then I lose the features (subtitles) of the MKV.

again unless you want to write/create your own filters, and understand how directshow filters work, you need to use a splitter like Haali, to split the files first, then use a codec like FFshow, to play them back.

Right now Haali + FFshow seem to produce the best picture/performance for me, YMMV.

Quote:
However if I use MPC-HC, then there's no more offloading being done, despite me having CoreAVC Pro, PowerDVD8 Ultra, and Nvidia PureVideo HD installed??

actually MPC-HC DOES have DXVA2 codecs, and does support hardware acceleration, however NOT all codecs are equal and not all mkv's support DXVA2 in the first place.

I'd say get rid of coreAVC as it doesn't support DXVA2/hardware accel. Don't get me wrong, its a good, efficient codec, but its not a hardware accelerated codec. and not sure what you mean by having Nvidia Purevideo HD install? there isn't a Purevideo HD installer, the only purevideo installer is the old, outdated mpeg2 decoder which has nothing to do with mpeg4 HD video and decoding.

and finally i have only found powerdvd to be good for hard disc (ie blu ray) playback from the disc and nothing much more than that.

Quote:
Something's surely not right here? What am I missing? Is there a way to make PowerDVD 8 Ultra play the MKV files properly without renaming or making MPCHC actually put Nvidia PureVideoHD to use?

again powerdvd is not going to work without writing custom direct show filters.

-Josh

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious /forum/post/15437599

Purevideo HD is part of the NVidia graphics drivers and is used by the common DVD playback software (PowerDVD, WinDVD, TMT, ShowTime) as well as MPC-HC

It is easy to get Purevideo HD and Purevideo mixed up. Purevideo was a chargeable MPEG-2 decoder for Windows XP for NVidia cards.

Let me try to clarify the confusion here:

1. PureVideo is simply a Nvidia marketing jargon for their video product (both hardware and related software). PureVideo first came out with Geforce 6xxx series, which is known for its HA (DXVA) mpeg2 decoding (mostly for SD DVD). Back then, there are not much support in the market for DXVA, so Nvidia develop its own DXVA capable mpeg2 decoder -- PureVideo DVD Decoder -- to demonstrate its benefit and to jump start the market support.

2. Somewhere down the time (aftrer the 7xxx series), Nvidia uses "PureVideo HD" to market their new product, which support better high definition mpeg2 decoding and some support for H.264. The same PureVideo DVD Decoder still works perfectly with these new hardware and driver.

3. Then the 8xxx series hits the market with FULL HA h.264 decoding capability (previous models have PARTIAL HA -- motion compensation mode). Nvidia retains "PureVideo HD" in their marketing terminology this time.

My point being PureVideo is simply a Nvidia marketing strategy, which covers a series of Nvidia video products (hardware, driver, decoder software) over time. See this link .

My first Nvidia card (Geforce 6600 AGP) was purchased a while back for DVD (SD Mpeg2) playback, and you had to purchase PureVideo DVD Decoder to take its full capability. Today the same old card (with recent driver) can even support partial HA in H.264 decoding. I believe the driver with the new capability was at least released two years after Nvidia announced it in marketing campaign.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmm this is interesting.

For me, following the guide above and using MPC-HC's internal filters did nothing to decrease CPU load.

I followed this guide (using the PDVD8 filter) and now my CPU loads have dropped from ~30% on high bitrate 1080p encodes, to around ~5-10% and the FPS remains constant.

This is with a Q6600, 8800GTX, 8 gigs of ram.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike /forum/post/15584484

Hmm this is interesting.

For me, following the guide above and using MPC-HC's internal filters did nothing to decrease CPU load.

I followed this guide (using the PDVD8 filter) and now my CPU loads have dropped from ~30% on high bitrate 1080p encodes, to around ~5-10% and the FPS remains constant.

This is with a Q6600, 8800GTX, 8 gigs of ram.

GeForce 8800 GTX is equipped with only the first generation of PureVideo HD (VP1). That means it supports only Motion Compensation and Deblocking of the four H.264 decoding processes. VLD (or bitstreaming decode; the hardest part of the H.264 decoding) and iDCT are done by CPU. (Check with DXVAChecker if doubt.) If you use a card with VP2 or VP3, you will see much less CPU usage.

Another summary of PureVideo HD .

PureVideo (HD) is a general term for NVIDIA video playback technologies (hardware/software).
_________
PureVideo
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Since 2004 with GeForce 6 Series. Deinterlacing and various video processing. SD only (mostly).

- HW: MPEG-2 Decoding Engine, Video Processor Engine, video sharder etc.

- SW: driver and PureVideo Decoder

Began with GeForce 7 Series. Various video decoding and processing technologies for both SD and HD.

- HW: Video Processor 1/2/3 (VP1, VP2, VP3), H.264 Bitstream Processor (BSP), AES-128 Decryption Engine, and shader units/stream processors.

- SW: driver and player (decoder, e.g. CyberLink H.264 Decoder).

PureVideo HD Gen 1 (VP1)

VLCiDCTMCoDB
MPEG-2NYY-
VC-1NNYY
H.264NNYY
PureVideo HD Gen 2 (VP2+BSP+AES128 DE)

VLCiDCTMCoDB
MPEG-2NYY-
VC-1NYYY
H.264YYYY
PureVideo HD Gen 3 (VP3+BSP+AES128 DE)

VLCiDCTMCoDB
MPEG-2YYY-
VC-1YYYY
H.264YYYY
_____
Cards
¯¯¯¯¯

- Gen 1: GeForce 7 Series, GeForce 8800 GTX/Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB/640MB.

- Gen 2: Everything else.

- Gen 3: GeForce 8400 GS (G98), GeForce 8200/8300, GeForce 9300/9400.

Exceptions are GeForce 7025/7050 (AMD)/7050/7100/7150 (Intel) IGPs. NVIDIA did not dub these IGPs "PureVideo HD".

_______
Remarks
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Note that the generation refers to only GPU decoding capability. The difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 (full hardware acceleration for VC-1) does not matter for any decent machine with a dual-core processor. Full hardware acceleration for VC-1 is good only for a sinlge-core processor. Generation does not indicate video processing capability at all (important as well). So Wiki's description is very incomplete.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychou /forum/post/15445336

3. Then the 8xxx series hits the market with FULL HA h.264 decoding capability (previous models have PARTIAL HA -- motion compensation mode).

This is not precise. Full H.264 HA is supported only by GeForce 8500 GT/8600 GT/8600 GTS and the GPUs released thereafter. Geforce 8800 Ultra, 8800 GTX, 8800 GTS (320/640MB) support only MCo and DB.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/15584613

This is not precise. Full H.264 HA is supported only by GeForce 8500 GT/8600 GT/8600 GTS and the GPUs released thereafter. Geforce 8800 Ultra, 8800 GTX, 8800 GTS (320/640MB) support only MCo and DB.
That sucks.

I guess the PDVD8 filter just uses less CPU than FFDSHOW.

Hopefully if a movie plays poorly, overclocking my Q6600 will be enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.