AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wondered why they have the deleted scenes on Disc 2, but they didn't

put them back in like a Directors Cut or the way the director really wanted us to see his/her work. I have so many 2 discs that have deleted scenes, from what I read they simply splice it into the film.

I really don't believe Hollwood wants to make thousands of directors cuts, how many are in this situation and/or do you believe they will ever put it back in what you actually seen at the theatre. Please use spoiler feature if you think it's necessary *not* to spoil the movie should the special or ultimate edition put it back in.:)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Many of the deleted scenes are deleted because the director wanted them deleted. That's why they aren't in the directors cut.

Some cuts are made because they aren't necessary to the plot, or disrupt the flow of the film, or were shot in support of subplots that never really developed. These will not be in the director's cut.

Other cuts are made to trim running time and not for any other reason. These cut scenes will reappear in the director's cut.

Also, just to clarify, deleted scenes are ones that were never shown in the theaters.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Several of the deleted scenes in Galaxy Quest were unfinished CGI and alternate versions of existing scenes. This would have made it very difficult to incorporate them into an expanded version.

I seem to remember that several of the other deleted scenes were just not very good. There may have been a couple that could have been inserted back in, but I don't think they would have really helped the story much.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Director's Cut is not synonymous with long. Some, AOTC comes to mind, the commentary preceding the scenes was better than the scene's themselves (even though I secretly wish they were inserted back in too).

·
Registered
946 Posts
In general I've stopped watching deleted scenes. Most seem to have been cut because they just don't work. I prefer them left as "bonus" material for the viewer to watch if he/she chooses, or to include them using the seamless branching technique like in The Abyss or Independence Day. I hate the fact that I can't watch the original theatrical cut of Aliens because the only version available is the "director's cut" with additional scenes.

There are obviously a few exceptions like Once Upon a Time in America (whenever that comes out). The original US theatrical cut is a travesty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.