AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking of going and renting a uhaul to get my plasma instead of waiting. I will get it on the first if i wait for delivery ($100), or i can go pick it up myself for probably about $40-$50 with a uhaul, and get it tomorrow. Is it feasable that I could get it myself? If so, any suggestions on how to do this? Precautions to take so the tv doesnt get smashed? Wait for delivery period cause this is not a good idea?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18164672

So I was thinking of going and renting a uhaul to get my plasma instead of waiting. I will get it on the first if i wait for delivery ($100), or i can go pick it up myself for probably about $40-$50 with a uhaul, and get it tomorrow. Is it feasable that I could get it myself? If so, any suggestions on how to do this? Precautions to take so the tv doesnt get smashed? Wait for delivery period cause this is not a good idea?

Don't see why not. I took mine home in my minivan.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:

Rope it in and have a buddy or two ready to help you unload it, although honestly once you're talking about the pricerange you paid for it, I'd recommend just paying the $100 so you can refuse it if it arrives at your place broken for any reason and so you can turn it on and inspect it. You spent a ton of the display... spend a little more to eliminate any flukes or act of god incidents that cause you to lose all the $$$ you spent on it.

·
Banned
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/18164952

Rope it in and have a buddy or two ready to help you unload it, although honestly once you're talking about the pricerange you paid for it, I'd recommend just paying the $100 so you can refuse it if it arrives at your place broken for any reason and so you can turn it on and inspect it. You spent a ton of the display... spend a little more to eliminate any flukes or act of god incidents that cause you to lose all the $$$ you spent on it.

Naw, hauling your own TV just takes a little smarts and piece of cake to set up. I couldn't wait for the 1st either if I just bought one and it's so easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On a similar note, I'm moving tomorrow and am obviously taking my 46" Panny G15 with me. Any tips on moving now that this thing is out of the box? And is it just a myth that you're not supposed to lay Plasma TVs on their back? I'm thinking about laying it on it's back on top of some blankets and covering the entire cargo area with pillows and sleeping bags and whatnot. I can't afford to lose my baby, and the Blazers game is on tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:

I wouldn't want to wait that long to get my TV so I'd probably just do it myself. Just have them open it when you're at the store so you can inspect if for damage. If it's fine, put the top back on the box, strap it in the back of the U-Haul and head home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanssen83 /forum/post/18165170

On a similar note, I'm moving tomorrow and am obviously taking my 46" Panny G15 with me. Any tips on moving now that this thing is out of the box? And is it just a myth that you're not supposed to lay Plasma TVs on their back? I'm thinking about laying it on it's back on top of some blankets and covering the entire cargo area with pillows and sleeping bags and whatnot. I can't afford to lose my baby, and the Blazers game is on tomorrow!

Large TVs are packaged to be transported upright. I've worked at several big box retailers and while we always recommend to people that they transport it upright, there's really no rule against laying it down. We've had people haul them home a ton of times laying them on their back. However, I would never do that, personally. Just think if you were to hit a bump or something and that glass screen cracked down the middle. Not worth the risk, if you ask me. Why do you think the manufacturers package them to be transported upright? If you have the means, transport it standing up. Just my two cents.

·
Banned
215 Posts

Quote:

I forgot what size you said you were getting. But anyway I hauled my 46in in a Pickup truck. It was a breeze. (Of course I found out the hard way before hand that it would not fit in my mustang even with the sets down, lmao.)

At the time, I was unaware of the Issue with laying flat panels flatdown, because this is the way I hauled mine and fornately everything was fine when I got home with it. HHGREG never bothered to tell me not to lay it flat either: I guess they didn't care since it was no longer their baby.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't blame you for your eagerness. --I'm looking to buy my first BIG SCREEN very soon, after witnessing a stunning blu-ray picture on a friend's 50" Panasonic Plasma S14.

I've discovered that the market is kind like shopping for a new model of car, as the 2009 models are on their way out and the 2010 models are on their way in. So I've missed out on local bargins for the 2009 models, other than the possible exceptions of "display" models (which I would only buy if there's a GREAT bargain to be had).

Traveling a fair distance to purchase an NEW and UNUSED 2009 model seems to be my only real option, unless I chance ordering on-line for delivery. Odds are, I will be waiting to see what 2010 has to offer, with the Panasonic and Samsung line of plasmas.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not bad though...the 10 models should be quite nice

dissapointing part is the tv stand doesnt come until the 24th, and i cant pick that up. had to order it from vann's in montana. Anyways, anything else i should look for or bring with me to make hauling this thing easier?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you have a home depot close? I believe they rent flatbed trucks for around 30 bucks an hour....and if I'm not mistaken they include winch straps.

...I brought my 50s1 home in my shortbed pickup truck with no problems at all (although I won't lie...I rode in the back while my wife drove out of paranoia). A 54 would've fit just fine with the tailgate down even in a short bed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
see, i dont want to lay it down flat though...i want to transport it vertically

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have to ask advise about getting your set, you should pay the $$$$.... I brought mine home and certainly didn't need to ask how to tie it up.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well point I was making is that most stores will wash their hands of responsibility once it leaves their hands so if you transport it yourself I would sure hope that you'd inspect it at time of sale to make sure there's nothing wrong with it cosmetically. Of course if it doesn't turn on or you missed something and there was a crack, knowing how BB are they may give you a seriously hard time claiming that you didn't transport it right. For a throwaway low-end Panasonic (which is not to diss them) I wouldn't worry too much. For a Kuro that you spent several thou on, I would pay the extra so you don't lose the full price of the tv in case anything happens during transportation.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18165787

see, i dont want to lay it down flat though...i want to transport it vertically

Clearly.....I transported it vertically and that is where the winch straps (or really bungee cords or whatever) came in handy. I did ride with it in the back with my hand on it out of paranoia (it never budged).

Granted I live in Florida...so riding in the back of a pick up in January (when I bought it) wasn't a big deal

I might agree with the previous poster, though....if you are this stressed about it you might just want to pay for the delivery (especially if you have to pay to rent a truck anyway)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
darn...i was worried i would get that answer. I do not want to hurt my kuro in any way, but I really don't want to wait until the 1st to get it either. Maybe its for the best that I wait, so I can read up on it in the mean time.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18165986

darn...i was worried i would get that answer. I do not want to hurt my kuro in any way, but I really don't want to wait until the 1st to get it either. Maybe its for the best that I wait, so I can read up on it in the mean time.

For what it's worth I am going to pick up a 60" 151FD Kuro in two weeks and will be renting a panel van from uHaul. I don't have any other delivery options so I have to do this but will just make sure everything is in tip-top shape when I pick it up.

Remember, these things are shipped in from Asia...so it's not like they're designed not to be moved around. Just want to take basic precautions, like NOT lying it down on its back even if people say they've gotten away with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe i'll drive to uhaul and check out what their vans/ trucks look like. Then, i will know whether or not to try it

i might just be worrying myself over nothing

·
Registered
420 Posts
I personally had mine delivered. The reason for this was actually for warranty. If they break it, they bought it and would have to get me a new one. I break it, well, I'd be SOL. Also, because they delivered it, if I did have a warranty issue in the first 30 days and it couldn't be fixed on-site, they would come by and pick it up. Had I delivered it myself...well, I'd be responsible to pack it up and bring it back to the store as well. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
basically i am weighing a decreased cost and waiting period against possible return problems if i want to bring it home myself.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts