AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the projector today and hooked it up this evening to my HTPC (Radeon, TheaterTek, dScaler, etc.). Projecting a 6'3" wide image I watched part of Spiderman via TheaterTek. Before I dig to deep here, I must preface my observations on the fact that my previous projector was/is an old Sanyo PLC-5500 (LCD, 832x624). Even though I want down in resolution the image produced is much sharper. There is virtually no screen door like i am used to seeing, you can see the individual pixels starting at about 4' away, but from 10' away its smooth as butter on a hot summer day. I haven't run Avia on it yet but so far this thing has better brightness, better blacks, better clarity, better coloring and well you get the idea its just better. I paid $1,000 used for the sanyo 2 years ago or so, and can't believe I paid the same for the Dell. I wish I had other projectors to compare images but at the same time I am happy as is, so I guess not seeing a $2,500 projector has prolly been a blessing for me. I caouldn't ask for more from this little projector I think it will work just fine for my current and future needs.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
A decent HT projector for $850....

This has got to be a breakthrough moment for front projection for the masses.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I received my 2100MP yesterday. I purchased it primarily for computer and SD TV. (for movies and HD I have a Marquee 8000 CRT) I really can't go into depth about the picture quality because I could not handle the rainbows. I would love to be one of those who are not affected by 'rainbows'; this projector shows promise, however, not for me. Back it goes.

Willie

PackerFan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to say that I just got my Dell yesterday from the $850 sale and am pleased beyond belief. I've never had a projector, but am impressed by how good it looks at about 80" diag on blackout fabric. Its pretty quiet even though its just about a foot from my head on the table behind me. I'm sure its would be near silent mounted from the ceiling once I get the room set up right. I am affected by rainbows, but i almost never see them, usually only when shaking my head, turning sideways, etc. I haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet or watch alot of familiar movies, so hopefully this weekend I can get a better idea of its accuracy. Even still, I'm far happier than I ever would have been with a sub-$1000 RPTV like I was planning on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good to hear that people are liking it. I oredred mine yesterday. Will post report as soon as it arrives. I did not have 15% coupan though - I was late I guess. Still 999 is not a bad price.

I'm just crossing fingures about rainbow - don't know about that yet ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hmm, it doesn't seem to have component video input, does it?

Edit: Actually under "product highlights" it says that it does have component video, under "technical specifications", this is not listed as an input.

Edit: It looks like the component input is: "One 15 pin D-sub connector for analog RBG/Component Video/HDTV signal" Could the unit be connected to a progessive scan DVD player via this input? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes you just need a VGA to 3 rca cable, it even comes with one, although its only 6feet long, so you'll prolly need to buy one long enough if you are ceiling mounting it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since it has no lens shift capability, doesn that mean that if I ceiling mounted it, I would need to use the digital keystone correction?

john

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on where your screen is in relation to your projector. Its designed to be above the top (cieling mount) or below (table mount) the screen it self.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i just ordered it. praying that won't see rainbows!

anyone returned the unit to dell? am wondering what their policy is, coz it says 30 days but did not say anything about lamp life.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can download Dell manual from their web site and that explains a lot details about different modes and cables. It comes with component to VGA cable, s-video cable and vga-vga cable.

It has 1:1 mapping, I'm not sure whether it is done the same way as X1 - does . Has anyone tested their 2100 in in 1:1 mode and used DVD player in 16:9 mode? How 4:3 image is displayed in 1:1 mode?

·
Banned
499 Posts
I was thinking, if people who wants a next gen projector, this might be a good stepping stone while you wait for the next one to come out. I wonder how much I can get for selling this projector on ebay after 1 year? Can I still sell it for $650? I don't mine losing $200 for a year.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.