AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the projector today and hooked it up this evening to my HTPC (Radeon, TheaterTek, dScaler, etc.). Projecting a 6'3" wide image I watched part of Spiderman via TheaterTek. Before I dig to deep here, I must preface my observations on the fact that my previous projector was/is an old Sanyo PLC-5500 (LCD, 832x624). Even though I want down in resolution the image produced is much sharper. There is virtually no screen door like i am used to seeing, you can see the individual pixels starting at about 4' away, but from 10' away its smooth as butter on a hot summer day. I haven't run Avia on it yet but so far this thing has better brightness, better blacks, better clarity, better coloring and well you get the idea its just better. I paid $1,000 used for the sanyo 2 years ago or so, and can't believe I paid the same for the Dell. I wish I had other projectors to compare images but at the same time I am happy as is, so I guess not seeing a $2,500 projector has prolly been a blessing for me. I caouldn't ask for more from this little projector I think it will work just fine for my current and future needs.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
I received my 2100MP yesterday. I purchased it primarily for computer and SD TV. (for movies and HD I have a Marquee 8000 CRT) I really can't go into depth about the picture quality because I could not handle the rainbows. I would love to be one of those who are not affected by 'rainbows'; this projector shows promise, however, not for me. Back it goes.

Willie

PackerFan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to say that I just got my Dell yesterday from the $850 sale and am pleased beyond belief. I've never had a projector, but am impressed by how good it looks at about 80" diag on blackout fabric. Its pretty quiet even though its just about a foot from my head on the table behind me. I'm sure its would be near silent mounted from the ceiling once I get the room set up right. I am affected by rainbows, but i almost never see them, usually only when shaking my head, turning sideways, etc. I haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet or watch alot of familiar movies, so hopefully this weekend I can get a better idea of its accuracy. Even still, I'm far happier than I ever would have been with a sub-$1000 RPTV like I was planning on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good to hear that people are liking it. I oredred mine yesterday. Will post report as soon as it arrives. I did not have 15% coupan though - I was late I guess. Still 999 is not a bad price.

I'm just crossing fingures about rainbow - don't know about that yet ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hmm, it doesn't seem to have component video input, does it?

Edit: Actually under "product highlights" it says that it does have component video, under "technical specifications", this is not listed as an input.

Edit: It looks like the component input is: "One 15 pin D-sub connector for analog RBG/Component Video/HDTV signal" Could the unit be connected to a progessive scan DVD player via this input? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes you just need a VGA to 3 rca cable, it even comes with one, although its only 6feet long, so you'll prolly need to buy one long enough if you are ceiling mounting it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on where your screen is in relation to your projector. Its designed to be above the top (cieling mount) or below (table mount) the screen it self.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can download Dell manual from their web site and that explains a lot details about different modes and cables. It comes with component to VGA cable, s-video cable and vga-vga cable.

It has 1:1 mapping, I'm not sure whether it is done the same way as X1 - does . Has anyone tested their 2100 in in 1:1 mode and used DVD player in 16:9 mode? How 4:3 image is displayed in 1:1 mode?

·
Banned
499 Posts
I was thinking, if people who wants a next gen projector, this might be a good stepping stone while you wait for the next one to come out. I wonder how much I can get for selling this projector on ebay after 1 year? Can I still sell it for $650? I don't mine losing $200 for a year.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.