AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
The image that I am seeing with the 2200mp with the room light on is watchable. However, it is washed out quite a bit. Almost all of my viewings are with the lights off as I mainly use my room for DVD's. However, it will most likely be used for the Super bowl as in the past so lights will be on about 50%. I can see the 2200mp will perform a lot better with lights at 50% than my Sony has in the past. I am still not sure what I am going to do though. I am almost through my first week of my 30 day trial period. Part of it has to do with finances but the other part has to do with checking out other projectors. Looking forward to another weekend of viewing with this projector. I will try to get some screen shots as well.

David

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
If you cannot see the moving black bars in Avia then something in your system is clipping off everything which is near black. Most commonly this happens if the display is expecting to see black in the signal at a level higher than the source is supplying. If your DVD player has an "enhanced black" option turn it OFF. That should bring the signal level for black back up to a range the projector can deal with.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just to be fair I thought that I would thow in a picture of my X1 on a DIY Parkland Plastex screen, this is from The Fifth Element Superbit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Guy Kuo,

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I can think is that the white contrast setting or degamma settings in the projector could be causing the problem. This is not a problem with my LCD projector. My htpc video settings should all be on default since I had to reload my system before Thanksgiving. I will check all of the settings in my HTPC again and see if something has changed. As far as the projector, I have knocked down the degamma and the white contrast settings to the lowest. I will be playing with the projector more this weekend so the first thing I will do is throw Avia back in

David

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been using my webcam for all those pictures, I cannot find a Digital Camara that would take pictures of the image. Can anyone reccomend a very cheap digicam for taking pics like these?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well I finally had some time to sit down and take a few screen shots. I chose three movies: Pirates of the Carribean, LOTR The Two Towers, and Finding Nemo. the camera is a Canon G3 set to the night setting and mounted on a tripod. Of course these are not a good way to judge but they are close to what I see.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508...ll2200mp01.jpg

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508...ll2200mp02.jpg

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508...ll2200mp03.jpg

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508...ll2200mp05.jpg

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508...ll2200mp04.jpg

After doing some searching on the forum I was able to put a name to the artifacts I was seeing on screen. Since I have been used to watching LCD I was used to terms like vertical banding. Dithering was new to me and is exactly what I am seeing in the shadows and dark colors. While I am sure I would get used to seeing this, it sure sticks out to me. As I have said before, my only other experience with DLP was with a Proxima X350. Most of my viewing on that projector was during presentations. I will do some more viewing this weekend.

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
check out this review ... hmmm, now i'm nearly sold for dell!

Awesome little projector!

Reviewer: Ron Flood Tlell B.C. Canada January 14, 2004

I bought this one because Dell made it so easy to get into. First off out of the box it hooks upto VGA, component and S-video. Which was the deciding factor. Plugged my satellite/DVD(thru my home theatre receiver) and computer into it. Image is very good, alot better than I ever imagined. Color didn't need to be setup. Played with the adjustments, but just kept the default settings. Very impressed how lighted the room can be and still see the picture well. Darker is better, but not absolutely essensial. More for mood and atmosphere for movies. The power saving mode is only marginly darker. S-video, VGA and pass-thru are on the back of unit. The component dongle plugs into the VGA input. The remote is full function with very very easy to use on-screen menu system. No PHD in physics required! I haven't noticed any rainbow effects or hot spots, the projected image is very clear and even. I also was worried about the built in de-interlacer, I was seriously looking at the X1 because of the farouda de-interlacer, but didn't come with the proper s-video dongle. The 2200MP does a great job of encoding interlaced video into progressive, its says something about DLP DDR, but very vague in that department. I live in a trailer and have limited room. Thats why i had to go with a projector. My setup is a 82" by 51" hanging 4" from ceiling. The Projector is 12' away. I was initially worried about the distance between the screen and projector. But now I see you could easily get 25' away and still have a good quality image, that would give you a huge screen. I get a 96" 16/9 and 90" 4/3 screen. I can't stress enough how good it looks and easy it is to setup. In less that 30minutes I was watching a movie on the big screen, some might argue, how big do you really need it? The plain an simple truth of the matter is its not a need, its a want. If you want the a projector that works out of the box(all the most common hook-ups) and looks great. For the price you can't beat the 2200MP! Very highly recommended!

·
Registered
688 Posts

Originally posted by silbi

check out this review ... hmmm, now i'm nearly sold for dell!

Awesome little projector!

Becareful, not all reviewer are equal :)

"...Very impressed how lighted the room can be and still see the picture well. Darker is better, but not absolutely essensial..."

I wonder if this is his first FP review ?

My friend has Dell 3200 (XGA), it's okay as an entry "digital PJ"

Regards

Thuan

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.