Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a Dell and needs to feed it both component from his HD

receiver and RGB from his HTPC whats the best way to achive this

with that wacky DVI connector that is on the Dell?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's a little more detail to it, I am the friend with the problem. The Dell 3200 projector has basically one input for both my PC(through VGA) and for a HD signal through component. That connection is a specific type of a DVI card, called a P&D or EVC or M1-DA connection(for what that connection looks like go to the following link and scroll to the bottom http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm ).

The projector comes with 2 set's of cables for this p&d connection. p&d to component connection; and p&d to VGA.

I do have a BNC switch box that I have the projector plugged into, along with my HD TV box and DVD player for the inputs. I recently got a BNC to VGA cable and could not get a signal on the projector, but I wonder if I have to change any settings on my PC or projector first so that is first question that I have.

The other question that I have is only if that BNC to VGA connection is not going to work. And that is basically if there is a way to have a dual input for that P&D connection so that I can have my component and VGA signal at the same time without unplugging one and plugging the other in.

One last thing, when I go directly from the projector to my PC I cannot get a working signal on my projector. When I reboot my PC the image will display on the projector, but then when it goes into the login screen the signal is lost.. Any suggestions here??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump, any help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also contemplating this issue since I have a 3200MP on order. I don't know if this is the best option for signal integrity but it is the only thing I could think of so far. You could hook up the 3200MP's VGA cable to the output of a VGA or KVM switch. You could then connect a component to RGB video converter

(such as Audio Authority's Model 9A62 http://209.248.228.2/aacconsumers/9a62detc.html ) to one of the VGA inputs on the VGA switch. You could use a component video switcher (such as Audio Authority's Model 1154 http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/1154c.html ) in front of the component to RGB video converter if you need multiple component inputs. You can then connect your PC's VGA to another input on the VGA switch. Then of course, you would use the VGA switch to flip between the VGA and component sources.

What do you think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 3200MP and I too wish that there was a way to get DVI-D and component video in one connector. Theoretically, it should be possible.... someone just needs to make a breakout cable. Someone else mentioned this in a projectorcentral.com review.

Also, I'm still driving my 3200mp with VGA -- is anyone here using DVI-D in around a 5m/15ft length? I need to know what cable to buy -- I tried to buy a cheaper 5M cable and the picture was horrible... any suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where you guys able to figure it out which cable to use for the DVI input on the Dell 3200MP. I have one on order.

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you asking whether or not the Dell 3200 comes with a DVI to DVI cable? It does come with a M1-DA to VGA and M1-DA to component video cable, but not a M1-DA to DVI connection. The cable works great as long as you only need that single connection to the projector. The trouble comes in when you want to use that M1-DA connection for both your PC and HDTV connections... Hope this helps, you will like the PJ!! I have almost 200 hours logged on mine and love it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.