AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few different flavors of processors to get with this, but I think I got a pretty good one and it is working well as an HTPC right out of the box pretty much.

I just got a refurbished dell 560s, dual core E5700 w/2gb Ram, the integrated GMA X4500 graphics and I couldn't be happier. I have a Dell 8100 as my movies server which is used for other purposes as well in the lower level of my home. But... I hooked this slim Dell 560s to the upstairs TV, with a wireless mouse/keyboard and the Linksys/Cisco AE1000 wireless N usb device where this setup is working flawlessly. This is my HTPC for Netflix, Hulu, My Movies Client as well as DVD player with up scaling to 1080p, iTunes and general web surfing on a 42" 1080p TV. I orderd 2gb of extra ram for it that hasn't arrived yet, and I really don't think I will need it. I have been using this for a couple of days now over the Holiday and it is working great.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Great! I just picked up a Dell Inspiron One 2305 touch http://www.gadgetgad.com/dell-inspiron-one-2305 . This thing would make a terrific HTPC from what I can tell so far.

It's got a cool factor to it. Right now it just sits on my kitchen table. I have it connected to my HDHomerun for TV and also Mediabrowser to access my server for movies. This is my 4th Dell and it is most impressive for using low power processors!This one came with media center remote,wireless keyboard and mouse.

I imagine using one of these in a dedicated theater as a control pad to a projection system would be AWESOME! Maybe one day! lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/19556398

Great! I just picked up a Dell Inspiron One 2305 touch http://www.gadgetgad.com/dell-inspiron-one-2305 . This thing would make a terrific HTPC from what I can tell so far.

It's got a cool factor to it. Right now it just sits on my kitchen table. I have it connected to my HDHomerun for TV and also Mediabrowser to access my server for movies. This is my 4th Dell and it is most impressive for using low power processors!This one came with media center remote,wireless keyboard and mouse.

I imagine using one of these in a dedicated theater as a control pad to a projection system would be AWESOME! Maybe one day! lol

So... does the screen get fingerprints all over it, or is it made of some special material that is finger print resistant. 23" is a pretty good size for this, not to small, but also not very big compared to a 42" TV. Then again, my TV is not touch screen, but also... I am not sure I want my viewing TV to be touch screen unless it is finger print resistant.

What processor and video comes with that Onetouch?

My 560s w/E5700 Dual core is rated in Pass Mark with a 2200 which is not too bad, where the 8100 w/Core i5 is rated at 4200 in Pass Mark.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here on this page, you can see where your CPU bench mark is rated.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...00+%40+3.00GHz

The Dell Zino HD small form factor quad core P940 is rated at a 2200, which is not bad. The lower end Zino using the dual core P340 is rated at a 1300 which you can see here ( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...P340+Dual-Core ) in the lower rated cpu table. A rating of 1300 is good for a system that is a client for my movies through media center, but not fast enough to be a server. I had a Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.6ghz (rated at 1300) as my movies server early in the year and it worked well, but still every now and then the movies would pause for a second or two every now and then on the my movies client playback. It could have been my one router upstairs, but I am using the core i5 now as the My Movies server and have not had one problem with playback on any client. I even now have my daughters 54mbps wireless laptop upstairs hooked up as a My Movies client instead of standalone working with movie playback in here room through hdmi to her 720p TV. I have all computers on the same router now as well, rather than a 2nd router upstairs.

I had problems with the early on Zino HD's last year. They did not have the higher end CPU's they have now and the Zino's ran hot which caused all kinds of intermittent problems. I found this out the hard way after spending hours apon hours for a week long. I put a fan on my Zino directly and it ran almost perfectly, just a little bluray glitch here and there during playback, but that is just because the bluray playback with power dvd had it's problems, but overall not bad on a Zino that is not overheating. If I had the fan off, I ran into all kinds of weird intermittent problems even surfing the web and playing back simple UTube stuff.

I would like to try a Zino HD again maybe with the newer cooler running CPU's and integrated graphics. I think the added MX discrete video in these causes them to run a lot hotter, because of the video card in such a small box. But.. I don't see them offering the quad core without discrete graphics, so maybe I will try the dual core P340 with integrated graphics as a my movies client system.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilson37 /forum/post/19556832

So... does the screen get fingerprints all over it, or is it made of some special material that is finger print resistant. 23" is a pretty good size for this, not to small, but also not very big compared to a 42" TV. Then again, my TV is not touch screen, but also... I am not sure I want my viewing TV to be touch screen unless it is finger print resistant.

What processor and video comes with that Onetouch?

My 560s w/E5700 Dual core is rated in Pass Mark with a 2200 which is not too bad, where the 8100 w/Core i5 is rated at 4200 in Pass Mark.

This particular unit has the little AMD Athlon IIx2 250u 1.60 Ghz CPU. I know they have options for more powerful configurations.

The GPU is a ATI Radeon HD 4270 Series Graphics. I've seen them with the 5450 as well.

Yup I have 8 Windows PCs in home now on my network. All are tied into my little E machine movie/music server that uses one of the small CPU by AMD. Can't think of the name at the moment. It works well as long as I don't over load it with too many clients at one time.

I thought the screen would show a lot of finger prints. It doesn't really. Its so sensitive sometimes if you just get your finger close to the screen it will respond.

Its very quiet..nearly silent. I can have TV going in media center or a movie playing and surf the net or do other task quite well at the same time.

You could actually link this to your larger TV and just run them in Dual mode. The speaker system built in is also surprisingly good .

I'm not sure what the benchmark on it is. I'll look on the chart to see if I can find it. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/19557313

This particular unit has the little AMD Athlon IIx2 250u 1.60 Ghz CPU. I know they have options for more powerful configurations.

I'm not sure what the benchmark on it is. I'll look on the chart to see if I can find it. Thanks for the link.

Here is the pass mark of 976, which is not too high, but will still work for a client I am thinking and I think you might have discrete graphics which helps a lot.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...lon+II+X2+250u

These charts are good for everyone to find out just how powerful there processor is. The old Dual Cores from intel were the old instruction set and not too fast at all, but now the name has been rebranded to a lot of new lower performing compared to core i3,i5,i7 processors, but they have the new architecture and instruction sets that blow away the old Dual Core as well as are faster than old and some newer core 2 duo's. There are a lot of Core 2 Duo's out now that are not as powerful as the new Dual Cores, where the core 2 duo's were he higher performing than the old Dual Cores. It is all very confusing about the new AMD branding of processor names as well, that don't tell you much. You think your getting a Athlon II x2 which is a dual core and think your getting a heck of a deal, but the processor benchmark is pretty low and may not work for you. These pass mark benchmark speeds tell you a lot right off, so you can compare the different choice of processors you may have to choose from during your purchase. Just go to google search and type the processor type like "athlon ii x2 250u pass mark" and you will get a link right to a benchmark page that will tell you how well it has performed in the tests.

I can tell you that I had a Turion 64 x2 TL-50 1.6ghz that was a 766 for the pass mark test and it was not very fast, but it also only had integrated video and 2gb of ram. My wife and I are giving that system to my brother inlaw, for web surfing and such, as he has never had a laptop before and will be very happy with it I hope.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty confused as to whether the Dell Inspiron 560s (not 560) has an HDMI port or not. It's not listed in the Dell website blurbs, but it's shown in the picture (and not mentioned in the picture caption). It IS listed as being present in this document: Dell Inspiron 560s: Comprehensive Specifications f. I've asked Dell online chat twice, and they've said it's not there, but I think they are just looking at the same web descriptions I am looking at.

Sounds like the OP has one with HDMI. Is that true? Anyone else have a recent one with or without HDMI?

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts