Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No other details I can find except this new product announcement:

New Dell Plasma TVs

Two new Plasma TVs boast wide-aspect screens that deliver excellent picture quality.

Coming this month!

· Banned
10,928 Posts
It will be interesting to see the "detailed" specifications for these displays. If Dell's Plasma screens are as reliable (not) as their consumer PC's I can't see why anyone would buy from Dell?

· Registered
22 Posts
I Just received an e-mail announcing that Dell will be offering their own branded 42" ED and HD plasma screen TV's in time for the Christmas buying season. At their "suggested" retail price, I have no doubt that market pressure will continue to be force prices downward, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some OEM sets fall below $2,000 before Christmas.

Here's the link

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...19&l=en&s=corp

· Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
It will be interesting to see the "detailed" specifications for these displays. If Dell's Plasma screens are as reliable (not) as their consumer PC's I can't see why anyone would buy from Dell?
You are probably in the minority on this point of view.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what these plasma's have to offer. I have come close buying the ED 7UY, but I am looking for the consumer oriented features of the consumer model which is still a gen 6 panel. I am waiting until the Gen 7 consumer Panny comes out, and I can't wait to see a comparison to these Dell products.

· Registered
138 Posts

Dell's new 42-inch plasma displays, the Dell W4200HD 42" Plasma HDTV and Dell W4200ED Enhanced Definition 42" Plasma TV, will be available in time for holiday season programming. Both TVs boast wide-aspect (16:9 aspect ratio) screens that deliver excellent picture quality in packages that are only 3.3-inches thick.

The W4200HD retails for $3,499. It provides 1024 vertical lines and 768 horizontal lines of resolution, showing high-definition content. It is fully equipped to receive both analog and digital broadcasts out-of-the-box, due to dual integrated analog and combination digital/analog tuners.

The W4200ED, priced at $2,299, is an enhanced definition display equipped with dual analog tuners and features 852 vertical lines and 480 horizontal lines of resolution.

The Dell W4200 displays both allow users to multitask by viewing images from different sources simultaneously, with dual tuners and Picture-In-Picture (PIP), Picture-On-Picture (POP), and Picture-By-Picture (PbP) modes. When a PC is attached, the W4200 displays also support PC graphics on PC graphics, video on PC graphics, and video on video.

Detachable speakers deliver 20 watts of sound each, and high quality audio outputs allow easy integration with existing home theater components. Included SRSTM TruSurround XTTM transforms television audio into a stunning surround sound experience.

Both TVs are also powered by a PixelworksTM chipset. Dell is the first TV supplier to receive the Pixelworks' DNX certification, a series of rigorous video quality tests that measure out-of-the-box picture quality and performance.

Dell's goal is to help customers get their new plasma televisions working as quickly and easily as possible, so six different installation options are available to fit every need1. These options range from simply unboxing and hooking the TV up, wall mounting, or speaker mounting with concealed wiring.

Dell also announced a new model in its LCD TV product line today - the W1900 19" LCD TV, selling for $899. Multimedia enthusiasts now have more room to experience and enjoy digital content.

Dell has engineered the W1900 to feature a 1280 x 768 resolution (15:9 aspect ratio), thus optimizing for DVDs, today's TV signals, and tomorrow's high-definition broadcast standards. With a full suite of TV and PC connectors, the W1900 is also equipped for simultaneous use as a PC and TV display. When used as a PC monitor, the 158 square inch (1022 cm²) screen size can display two full documents side-by-side, enhancing productivity and ease of viewing.

Both plasma TVs will be available next month in the Continental (excluding Alaska) United States and in Canada. The W1900 19" LCD TV can be purchased immediately in the United States and Canada and will be available in Europe, Japan, Australia and Singapore and other regions over the next several months.

· Banned
10,928 Posts
I have to admit, I've had a bad experience regarding Dell's PC's and their customer support, so I will never buy another product or service from this company.

Since I own a HT and use TWC (8300HD DVR) I am very close to buying a Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY. While the 7UY does not have an internal tuner, speakers or CableCARD, at $5000 for a 50" Plasma display which includes a stand, dvi terminal and shipping... I feel that's a lot of bang for the buck.

I think you will get a lot more $ for $ from companies like Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony, etc., than Dell when it comes to Plasma displays.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Solderbot

re: Dell quality

You are probably in the minority on this point of view.

I
He may be, but I for one agree with him. I bought a Dell laptop for my wife. I won't be buying any more Dell products.

· Registered
304 Posts
I guess that makes me a member of the minority too.

I bought 2 PC's, an LCD monitor and a laptop from them this year.

Only the LCD Monitor remains.

I'm intrigued by the claim that

"Dell has engineered the W1900 to feature a 1280 x 768 resolution (15:9 aspect ratio), thus optimizing for DVDs, today's TV signals, and tomorrow's high-definition broadcast standards."

I thought 16:9 was the standard. Also how do they plan to deal with that ratio problem?

Also at that ratio I'm not sure you really want to view 2 documents side by side.

· Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dusty144

I thought 16:9 was the standard. Also how do they plan to deal with that ratio problem?

[/b]
Thats the closest they can get to 16:9 without loosing compatibility with most graphic cards. 99% of people don't and won't ever know how to use a Powerstrip :)

· Registered
32,174 Posts
I guess I find the Dell announcement, well, Dull.

Who cares?

The ED model is not even especially priced, the HD model could be mildly intriguing.

Here's what -- off-topic rant coming -- chaps me:

I have bought around 15 Dells over the past couple of years and would like them, well, to build one great, ultraportable laptop. Think Panasonic W2 or Y2, albeit with a faster chip and still solid battery life. Instead? Nada. I have an 18-month-old Latitude D400 and typically like to upgrade the laptop every year. Yet I'm not close...

Anyway, yay, Dell, more plasmas. Thanks.

· Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

I have bought around 15 Dells over the past couple of years and would like them, well, to build one great, ultraportable laptop. Think Panasonic W2 or Y2, albeit with a faster chip and still solid battery life. Instead? Nada. I have an 18-month-old Latitude D400 and typically like to upgrade the laptop every year.
True but the Latitude series (the D800) is one of the few to still offer a serial port on a laptop: something essential to me

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Rogo,

I am picking up my new 700m from UPS tonight. Has gotten great reviews (minus the keyboard and standard battery). Our 4 yr-old Latitude is just too slow, and is dying a painful death, now that the 3-yr warranty has expired.

As for the Dell plasmas, which have a nice look to them -- PQ is still unknown... Even if they aren't as good as Panasonic or Hitachi or fill-in-the-blank, I have to believe their release will cause downward pressure on prices of units for which we may be more interested. I think a $3500 HD Dell is quite a bit lower than a $5000 HD Hitachi or Panny, and even at a lower resolution, would be a good HD price.

· Registered
32,174 Posts
"True but the Latitude series (the D800) is one of the few to still offer a serial port on a laptop: something essential to me"

Huh, Mark, that's true. I didn't even realize I had one. I guess I don't much need it. :)

--------

"I am picking up my new 700m from UPS tonight. Has gotten great reviews (minus the keyboard and standard battery)."

Gordon, I have been tempted by that unit too. The problem I have is that you >>need

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Yeah, I was disappointed about the lack of 37" as well, since it appears Panasonic and Phillips are the only major manufacturers of this size, and it actually interests me more than the 42".

(Rogo, I did order the extra capacity battery. Supposedly adds 6 oz. I wasn't going for ultralight -- just smaller than the more popular 14.1" and 15.4" sizes, but still wanted the high res.)

Geordon

· Registered
3,671 Posts
Does anyone know anything about this Pixelworks chipset?

· Registered
4,330 Posts

· Registered
2,345 Posts
sorry about the OT, but regarding the serial port issue...

There are USB -> Serial adapters to be had

· Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Clepto
sorry about the OT, but regarding the serial port issue...

There are USB -> Serial adapters to be had
understood but these are problematic in some applications:

I use the serial port to download firmware to remote controls/ Lexicon MC-12, Simmetry etc: using a true serial port works best for me

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.