AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Probably the crackdown is nearly complete. Dell is not in the business of grey marketing.

To be clear, this is not a warranty issue, it's a distribution control issue. They are going to use the warranty as a hammer to discourage consumer purchases of grey-market goods. That's a rough business practice, but not an egregiously senseless one. A lot of manufacturers like to control distribution and -- despite questionable legality -- they often do.

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Frankly,

I hope Fujitsu stops selling plasmas altogether - this way they will have total control over distribution (there will be no need for distribution).

Seriously, Fujitsu was the first company to produce plasmas. They were the first to promote plasma price drops by using online dealers with lower than MSRP prices.

They are a trend setter. I hope that this one is going to be kept exclusively for them...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The trend will spill into all plasma manufactures, distribution will become toast . The distributor pulls from an NEC warehouse for a 61" same with fujitsu .. so whats the point of having distribution ?? They where needed pre-internet days not now, sell direct to authorized dealers and make more money. for everyone involved.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
I hope Fujitsu stops selling plasmas altogether - this way they will have total control over distribution (there will be no need for distribution).
This may happen if they continue to prioritize their distributor over the consumer. The complaints go away, then sales do to.
Quote:
The trend will spill into all plasma manufactures, distribution will become toast
Just like the computer industry. Today's leader isn't the one with the superior product or technology 5 years ago (Compaq or IBM) but the one that understood new distribution (Dell).

This market is highly elastic, price sentitive and growing very fast. This means lots of interested parties -- competition will be intense for manufacturing and distribution. Controlled distribuion only works where both product and purchasing alternatives are limited. A lesson to those that think corporations are taking over the world -- not likely, as they still keep on making the same mistakes over and over.:D The only scenario I see where Fujitsu comes out ahead on this is if the plasma market falls to another technology.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lets not forget that Fujitsu is a 60 billion US$ per year component manufacture! And plasma is just another component to this revenue model. They will makes lots of money from patents etccc. and their partnership with Hitachi is a good example. Hitachi has a brand name in the AV market .. fujitsu just got the market going with mass production and OEM supplied product to other brand names , this will be their game from here on. Hmmm come to think I never new Fujitsu excisted until they made big news on PLASMA , and now they will vanish slowly and get back to what they do best .... make components and not marketing AV products

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Fujitsu has no intention of disappearing from the marketing of AV products. They are just controlling distribution to protect retailer margins and position the product as a premium one. It's no different than what a Krell, Mark Levinson, TACT Audio, or any of hundreds of audio component makers do.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your right rogo , this is what i mean from the general public they will move on, the niche high class market with lots of money will keep them afloat only if they can keep the best picture quality that money can buy, if not then they will have to line it with gold to ad value :) I actually have two Fujitsu panels 1997/1998 and have a very good results with the daily use, I also have a fujitsu laptop that keeps on ticking 5 years old.. good dependable product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.