AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Quote:
Starting at $3,099 with a Pentium 4 single-core processor, Dell's XPS 600 will automatically ship with Windows XP Home and will come with a 160GB hard drive, dual 16x DVD-ROM and 48x CD-RW drives and 512MB of advanced computer memory.
I find it funny that in this day and age they want to appeal to "gamers" yet they still give you XP home and 512MB of RAM. That's pretty crappy for $3k.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
I'm not sure a machine with dual 7800's could handle 480p.
Maybe next generation. I am hoping that it can finally run Word smoothly though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
microsoft had a window manager 3d front end planned for windows vista that wouldn't

even run smooth on a 7800

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
I'm not sure a machine with dual 7800's could handle 480p.
No no no, you read it wrong, it only supports "480 pixel resolution" not 480p! That would take like 3x 7800GTXs. LMAO!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yea and hook em up together so you can brag to the 11 year olds on Xbox LIVE you are teh xbox champion :p

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Alienware has been shipping SLi 7800gtx pcie setups since the cards were announced... Not sure if they are classified as OEM computers or custom built though...

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2
Alienware has been shipping SLi 7800gtx pcie setups since the cards were announced... Not sure if they are classified as OEM computers or custom built though...

-Evangelo2
Not with dual 16x speed lanes though. That's what this thread is about. The switch from 2x 8x pci-e lanes to 2x 16x lanes for SLI.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn
Dell only sells the Intel platforms, but everyone should know that by now.

The 2x 16x speed is for s939 and Intel both now, and it has been available for s940 for a few months.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2493&p=1

here is the coolest motherboard evah!

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html
Did you happen to see the $12k Ultimate gaming machine in Maximum PC this month that used this MB? Its pretty sick.. if i had $12k to spare i woud buy it lol

Chris

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris2o0o
Did you happen to see the $12k Ultimate gaming machine in Maximum PC this month that used this MB? Its pretty sick.. if i had $12k to spare i woud buy it lol

Chris
With dual cpu support and other novelties, it seems that Maximum PC is out to make the Ultimate Machine, not just the Ultimate Gaming Machine.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
My bad DrCrawn ,

I really thought that the SLi solution from Alienware was dual 16x lanes.

Quick questions, is PCI Express x16 a pci express slot with 16x lanes? I always thought it was. If not, that explains my confusion.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PCIE slot runs at 16x speed, not lanes. The actual mhz speed of the bus is 100mhz. In comparision, AGP runs 66mhz. So not too much of a difference.

The first SLI motherboards only allowed 2x 8x speed for SLI versus full 2x 16x speed, including Alienware systems. The performance difference probably isn't too much at this point, as CPUs really hold back SLI more than anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.