AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to connect direct tv hd reciever to dell inspiron one 2305. HDMI acts only as another input for a monitor. I would like to run the directv into the computer, to view in media center. The other connection is RF, and the directv box has no rf out.

Any suggestions? would the solution be HD?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If I undersatnd your situation correctly, you do not have an "input" on your computer for the video/signal coming out of the Directv. Your computer has a video output only. The TV card won't help because it only has an RF input. I don't know if anyone makes a component to RF convertor, but even if they did, you probably woul dnot want it. RF is the lowest quaility - so you would be taking a high quality (SD or HD) signal and downgrading it to the lowest possible quality.

The only thing I can think of to do is to install a capture card as noted above. The Colossus is an internal card - but you need a PCIe slot for it. Does this computer not have any available expansion slots?

May I ask, why do you want to view in Media Center? If you don't want to record the program what benefit it is to watch in media Center rather than just watch it on the TV (or Monitor)? Is this computer a laptop?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr711 /forum/post/20888181

The system already has a built in tv card. Avermedia A386 minicard

You can't tune Directv with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr711 /forum/post/20888186

This is an all in one computer, the card you mentioned is not a feasible option.

But the Hauppauge PVR that he mentioned is. It connects to the computer by USB. I assume this has a USB port, doesn't it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.