AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a university where we were able to purchase a laptop computer (Dell Inspiron 8000) and an LCD projector (Sanyo PLC-XP18N) for giving Powerpoint presentations. The problem I am having is getting the size/aspect ratio of the Sanyo to match what I see on the laptop monitor. The Sanyo is capable of auto-detecting computer resolutions (the two are connected by VGA cable), but is unable to do this with the Dell. With the default settings there are two problems: 1) the total height of the monitor doesn't show up on the projector (the bottom hangs off) and 2) the projector image has black vertical bars on either side (doesn't fill the whole image-like sideways letterbox) and is compressed. In theory, you can set the parameters manually on the Sanyo with the following info:

Total lines (total vertical lines)

Total dots (total dots in one horizontal period)

I want to run the computer and projector both at 1024x768 resolution- but as far as I can tell those two parameters don't correspond to the pixel resolution. If anyone has any suggestions for what the proper values of lines or dots might be (or any other ideas), I'd appreciate it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Matt,

Sorry, to be late on this.

I would first verify that your signal is good coming out of the laptop by connecting it to a normal crt monitor preferably with an on screen display.

If the image looks good on the monitor, try to see if the monitor will give you signal info like: "1024*768 at 60Hz".

There should be no reason that the XP18n couldn't sync to that res.

But if it doesn't and you have to use the advanced controls that you are mentioning. A monitor operating at 1024 * 768 will typically will have left, right, top and bottom porches of the folowing deminsions.

total left porch = 160

total right porch = 160

Total horizontal pixels = 1344

Total top porch = 7

Total bottom porch = 31

Total Vertical lines = 806

I hope this helps

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Matt,

I was using a Dell Inspiron 4000 with the XP21N for awhile and didn't have any problems. In fact, I was surprised at how decent the image quality was with an older version of WinDVD.

For what it's worth, the settings were 1024x768, 60 hz, and 32 bit color. I don't have the projector anymore, but those were the settings on the laptop.

Good luck,

Chi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I _think_ I've figured it out, but I'm not exactly sure what I did that fixed the problem. To make a long story short (omitting all the fooling with lines and dots stuff) I did two things. One, I increased the refresh rate on the laptop LCD to 85 Hz. Two, there is a button marked "CRT/LCD" on the laptop (Fn + 8) that triggers the signal to be sent to the external port. If you only press it once, I get the lack of signal recognition problem. However, if you press it twice, the laptop LCD goes blank, and the Sanyo suddenly works perfectly. No where in the documentation on the computer does it tell you exactly how this CRT/LCD button works (thanks, Dell). It would be nice to be able to work on the laptop LCD and the Sanyo simultaneously, but I'll settle for this.

P.S. My school also bought an Apple Powerbook to use with the projector. It took me about 30 seconds to get the Mac to work with the Sanyo.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Matt,

The FN-F8 keystroke on the Inspiron is a 4 way switch that has the following cycle:
  • Laptop LCD on
  • Projector On
  • Both On
  • Both Off

If you made a 2 by 2 grid, the On/Off for each device are in the first and second row/column, and you are cycling through the grid when you push FN-F8.

Also, the native resolution of the Inspiron 8000 is a whopping 1400x1050 (odd, I know). I'm not sure about the Inspiron 4000, but the native resolution would be tough for most projectors to take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.