Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Two of my friends jumped on the Dell deal, and both of their projectors arrived Friday.

One works fine (and we did a detailed comparison to my LP350, details to be posted on my site soon) but the other has a terrible flicker problem:

When you turn the unit on, as the bulb warms up to full brightness, there is a terrible slow flicker to the entire image (maybe 10Hz at the most, but very with extreme degree of brightness fluctuation) which seems to be the lamp, since it happens for RGB and S-video, and if we resize the RGB to native (640x480) the entire screen area flickers, not just the image area...

It says in the manual that the image may flicker slightly for up to 5 minutes, but this flicker is extreme, and it doesn't improve even after 15 minutes or more.

However, my friend found a simple but unorthodox workaround to the problem:

Turn the projector on, let it warm up for a while with the nasty flicker, then turn it off and on again as quickly as it will let you, and the picture looks fine...

Obviously this is not how it's supposed to work, and this isn't an acceptable way to run the projector, but I find it very interesting that when the lamp has warmed up enough that the flicker should go away, it still needs to be "reset" to get it to stop flickering...

We're going to do an experiment now, and let it run for a few hours and then shut it down, and see if that solves it (in case it's an uneven vapor condensation problem with the lamp). (He has already let it run for about an hour straight, which I think would have been enough time to fix it, but we'll see...)

So, is the problem with the bulb, or the driver electronics in the projector?

Can is be permanently fixed easily, or should he ask Dell for a replacement bulb or an entirely new projector?

(or should he go straight to NEC for warrantee service)

Thanks,

GregorM

Keeper of the Infocus LP350 FAQ at: http://www.gregorvision.com/lp350/

·
Registered
733 Posts
Gregor,

I would go to NEC - my experience has been that its service is extremely good! I had one unit replaced by NEC immediately, but prior to this I complained to the vendor and the unit went in for servicing and came back with exactly the same problem. I phoned NEC and it was replaced just like that!

My Marantz does exactly the same thing with respect to the bulb. I complained to the vendor and was told it was a sync problem! It will flicker (has to be turned off and then on) about once every 5 or 6 times it is turned on.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.