AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DELL P1130 CRT monitor I like very much, but in the last week it has developed a little quirk where it "snaps" and "pungs" and goes bright blinding red like the Krypton Sun with little diagonal white stripes, then sometimes shrinks to a small square of intense lava light in the center of the screen, then suddenly it snaps right back to normal like nothing happened. It does this most frequently when I've just turned it on.

Does this sound like something easy to identify and is there anything I can do to prevent this from getting worse?

·
Registered
712 Posts
You have an intermittent short in the CRT. Cathode to grid shorts can be fixed, heater to cathode cannot. Take a look here: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm and try some of the stuff mentioned. Just *don't* try to blow out the short if it's heater to cathode, you will lose red for good (been there, done that).

It happens mostly when the set is cold because physics laws tell us that stuff expands when it gets hot so it has less chance of touching then. Also try this: Put the monitor screen up and give it a nice healthy slap. If the short is caused by a cathode flake this could make it fall off and not bother you anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.