AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good HDTV monitor that I can use in a dorm room for playing console games and watching DVD's with progressive scan. After looking at regular televisions, I came across the Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW monitor. Here's a link to the CNET review specs page:

I'm looking for a good HDTV monitor that I can use in a dorm room for playing console games and watching DVD's with progressive scan. After looking at regular televisions, I came across the Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW monitor. I wish I could link to it, but I'm new here...you can search for it at CNET to see a complete specs page, but I'll just paste some of it:

Max resolution 1920 x 1200

Color support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)

Image brightness 500

Display (projector) image contrast ratio 1000:1

Max vertical view angle +89 / -89

Max horizontal view angle +89 / -89

Max sync rate (V x H) 76 Hz x 81 KHz

Display (projector) image aspect ratio 16:10

Video Input

Input device type None

Digital video standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

Analog video signal RGB, S-Video, Component video, Composite video

I know this is primarily intended as a computer monitor, but is there any drawback to using it as a display for Xbox/PS2/Gamecube or a progressive scan DVD player, not connected to a PC? Its 1920x1200 resolution should be capable of displaying full 1080i, correct? So if I got an Xbox 360 and played Halo 3 with 1080i enabled, there would be no difference between the quality of the image on this monitor and some other LCD/HDTV screen which isn't marketed as a computer monitor first and foremost? I read that when hooked up to a computer, the device's image is rather washed out when used with a VGA connection instead of DVI...would this also be true when the input source is component? Also, another small question...the dorm room cable network has no cable box, it only has a coax cable...although my main concern is using this as a gaming/dvd screen, is there any way to connect a coax cable, either for regular SD cable, or for an over the air HD antenna, despite the fact that the monitor itself has no Coaxial input? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There are several reviews online regarding this particular set. Hit Google and you'll see the reviews. I recently purchased this set and it looks good, but you have to use component inputs to get decent quality.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read several reviews, and all of them are very good. However, they are mostly reviews of the screen as a PC monitor, and I'm more interested in it as a TV, especially for games. I am planning on using component cables, I just want to know if the quality will be as good as it would for another HDTV that is actually meant for gaming as opposed to computer use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are wanting a HDTV screen, don't buy a PC monitor. I have this monitor, but I use it as a monitor, not a TV. Consoles (PS2,xBox) are designed to work with TV's (standard and HD), not with PC monitors.

Now, that said, I don't have the component cables for my son's PS2. But we did connect it using the composite connection. Not bad, not great. About the same as connecting the PS2 to my 55" RPTV.

Do a search here on "2405". There's quite a few threads with lots of info. Take those review sites with a grain of salt. If I'd accepted Tom's Hardware's review, I wouldn't have bought the 2405, but I'm very happy with it.

I think the biggest issue you'll run into is that the PS2 and xBox max out at 1280x720 resolution. The 2405 is 1920x1200. Those resolutions are 16:9 and 16:10, so the vertical will be stretched from 1080 to 1200 or you'll get bars across the top and bottom.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You are making two compromises right off the bat if you want the 2405 to be a TV. First, the 16:10 ratio, which IIRC it stretches the 16:9 vertically. Second, no HDCP copy protection on the DVI input. That said, the price is good. Only you can decide. The 2405 is an excellent large computer monitor with plenty of resolution.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well from what I've read it doesn't have to stretch a 16:9 signal vertically, you can set it to aspect and it preserves it with narrow bars on the top and bottom. That doesn't bother me too much...the alternative for me right now is looking like getting a 4:3, non-HD television, which would be worse. As for the no HDCP---I'm using this in a dorm room which doesn't have a set top box or anything, just a coax cable for regular sd cable tv, so does that really even affect me? I was considering getting a Samsung DVD-HD950 Hi-Def Conversion DVD Player...it has HDMI output but ships with an HDMI to DVI conversion cable. Would the lack of HDCP support effect this device?

Here is the set up I'm envisioning...I have a powerful new Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 laptop running Windows Media Center 2005, with a TV Tuner (which I will connect the dorm room's coax cable to). So my idea is this...connect the laptop's DVI out port to the 2405's DVI in port. Then download a program like multi mon that will give me dual monitor support. I should be able to watch TV from the tuner on the big screen while doing other things on the laptop screen, correct? In addition, I have an Xbox, ps2, and gamecube in the room. They all have component out cables. I have a component switcher I can connect them to. So I will connect the switcher's component out cable (All Monster cables, btw) to the monitor's component in. I may also bring a Panasonic progressive scan DVD player which I can also hook up to the switcher. As for audio, I have a receiver with 5.1 speakers which I can use for sound from all of the devices (including the laptop, which has an Audigy 2 ZS sound card). I realize there are a few glitchers here and there with using the monitor part time as an HDTV, but by and large, would this setup work? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I don't know about that specific upconvert DVD player, I know some do require HDCP, but the computer will do better as a DVD player. Get yourself ffdshow and dscaler and zoomplayer for best results, or just about any software DVD player to start. Other than that, your setup should work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.