AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some general (but important) questions before i make the purchase of this dell tv. I have heard good things about it but i was wondering if the dvi was hdcp and if the component video was hd capable? Also is this set wall-mountable and does it have the "burn-in" problem? And last but not least, does this TV upconvert everything to its native resolution no matter what? Thanks a lot.

P.S. Please share whether or not you liked this set and why or why not. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hi jp....

I was one of the first on the forum to get this lcd, so I'll try to address your questions:

DVI = HDCP? -> I don't believe so (not mentioned in any documentation and I have no way to check it)

Component video = HD capable? -> Yes indeed. It supports 480i/480p*/720p/1080i

* there are some issues with the 480p input..

Wall mountable -> Yes. Not all wall mounts will work. I'm using an Omnimount CL articulating lcd wall mount...works great

Burn-in Problem? -> well, basically at this point lcd/plasma type displays are prone to some burn-in of some sort. I haven't had problems with my W1700, or my panny plasma, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen

Upconvert all to native? -> Yes. This is the nature of fixed pixel digital displays (lcd plasma etc). What you see is what you get.

And yes, I like my set...I have it installed in my rec-room / bar as a "remote" screen for my theater (different room). Get up to get a drink, and the movie is still playing...

480p problem: I (and other users) have experienced problems with 480p input via component. The video suffers from what can only be described as stuttering or jerky motion. This unfortunately happens via several sources (tried HTPC, cable box (HD), and dvd player...they all stutter). My solution? Use 720p and 480i for everything.

Anyway,

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
kind of off topic but didn't want to post a whole new topic the dimensions for the screen are 11.4x21.4 is just the screen or the screen + speakers? if not what is the actual size

·
Registered
13 Posts
thats okay i ordered it and already got it very nice ws. there are a couple of things that seem wrong with it though. the damn s-video image in the corner tends to stay on and my sharpness setting isn't working :( im also glad i dont have the progressive scan problem(does seem to jerk every once and a while).

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greenz
thats okay i ordered it and already got it very nice ws. there are a couple of things that seem wrong with it though. the damn s-video image in the corner tends to stay on and my sharpness setting isn't working :( im also glad i dont have the progressive scan problem(does seem to jerk every once and a while).

How is the picture quality because I read a review that said it was mediocre?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the monitor and love it. I don't notice any picture problems with it other than the 480p problem (glad I saw the problem listed here, have adjusted the XBOX to not use 480p).

I sit about 2 feet away from it and watch HD TV on it with total amazement. The picture quality is fantastic. What seems to go unsaid is how AWESOME the SPEAKERS are. You can adjust the treble and bass in the TV to give you sound that my 32" televisions don't put out!

Bryan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i got it today, i just picked it up from the UPS hub (I wouldn't have been home to sign for it). The quality of windows is fantastic!! I'll do some more testing and get back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.