Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI.

Dell is planing to introduce their own flat screen TV next month. Supposedly it will be priced competitively to the current market. Does anyone know the details?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Why Planar? Wouldn't a rebadged Electrograph make sense? Electrograph is the distributor for all the plasmas Dell currently sells and they have "put together" what is supposed to be a very fine plasma "of their own." Rumored to be Panny 6 series glass but with better (maybe Fujitsu??) electronics. Price is also very competitive. Problem for Electrograph is that they have limited ability to market it to the public since they are basically just a distributor. I hope that Dell wants to have a better plasma monitor reputation than Gateway.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dell. Such a hive of original ideas!

They are also coming out with second-rate clones of Apple's iPod and iTunes Music Store.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was on the conference call and Michael Dell mentioned that the TV would have farudja (or something like that- forgive me) technology. If you go on Dell's site under the peripherals section there's a 17 in LCD tv that looks very similar to the picture of the dell model to be released soon.

Unfortunately there isn't much more info about this or any of the other new products. It remain's to be seen if Dell's clone of the IPod really is second rate. It does look surprisingly similar though, probably based on the same 1.8" Toshiba drive.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chmilar
Dell. Such a hive of original ideas!

They are also coming out with second-rate clones of Apple's iPod and iTunes Music Store.
They may not be a hive of original ideas, but that iPod you love will probably cost 20% less six months after they enter the market, and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The current Electrograph 42" is probably a rebadged Panasonic--same 4000-1 contrast ratio. So if Dell goes that route it would be a Panasonic. Seems too good to happen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ECsquirrel
I was on the conference call and Michael Dell mentioned that the TV would have farudja (or something like that- forgive me) technology.
My company bought a Planar 42" from Dell - it has some Farudja electronics in it.

LG --> Planar --> Dell. The first plasma that comes with an identity crisis? Sounds like a perfect fit for Farmer Mike's new business philosophy:)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dell will be selling their plasma with the PC as a package just as Gateway is doing. The price of Planar with Dell PC could be around $4000 and that is easier to sell and advertise than a $7000 package. Of course you can always upgrade for the better monitor (plasma).

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Technofan,

Sounds great! Can't wait for their next "buy this desktop and get a free flat-screen monitor" deal. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.