AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed something strange with bass management on the 5.10.0.27 driver - I am not sure if bass re-routing for the center channel works correctly. My current setup is as follows:

- 5.1 speakers placement, using PowerDVD to decode DD and DTS

- Front have crossover "off" (full-range)

- Center and suronds have crossover "80"

- Simulated everything is off

The exact problem is that if i mute the center, bass from the fronts is much improved (louder in the 20 to 80 Hz range). I believe that the center mute reroute the sound to the front speakers. But why would bass be rerouted by this given the crossover settings (80Hz)? :confused:

Have tried all PowerDVD XP patches up to 1329b, but no change, so i assume the issue is with the Delta driver. This occurs with any multi-channel sound type - DD, DTS. The problem is especially obvious with music DVDs.

I have also setup all speaker phasing and sound level correctly using Avia and a SPL meter.

Any fixes? For hardware and setup see my profile...

· Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Any fixes?â€

Rajive,

No fix needed because that is the way it works. The 410 bass management has more options than most receiver/processors and can cause some confusion.

When you disable the center channel on a receiver the full bandwidth signal will be routed to the front speakers and it is up to the crossover settings for the front speakers to reroute to the subwoofer. In your case you have the fronts set to off (large) which will provide the full range for all redirected signals.

If you wish to get the center (and mains) routed to the sub along with full range fronts you need to select a crossover frequency for the front speakers and check the Sub Mode (LFE+Main) box on the Bass Management tab.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I've been considering the Delta 410 and have a question - currently I do not use a center, The center is directed towards the 2 front mains in phantom mode. I want to keep this setting. Does the 410 have an option to do this?

Thanks,

· Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Neuner
I've been considering the Delta 410 and have a question - currently I do not use a center, The center is directed towards the 2 front mains in phantom mode. I want to keep this setting. Does the 410 have an option to do this?

Thanks,
When you mute the center speaker in the Bass Management tab it reroutes the center signal to the front mains.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cliff,

I just tried this - keep the same settings as I described above, but mute the sub. Hence all bass from all channels should be rerouted to the fronts (is this correct?). Now when I mute the center, I still get louder bass from the fronts. The difference is not subtle, I much improve the sound with the center muted. (Neuner - this is "phantom mode") Is this how it should work, or is this a driver problem?

· Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rajiveaggarwal
Cliff,

I just tried this - keep the same settings as I described above, but mute the sub. Hence all bass from all channels should be rerouted to the fronts (is this correct?). Now when I mute the center, I still get louder bass from the fronts. The difference is not subtle, I much improve the sound with the center muted. (Neuner - this is "phantom mode") Is this how it should work, or is this a driver problem?
Rajive,

At this point I have no idea what you are doing wrong. Last month during the public beta testing the channels were all balanced for proper output for phantom mode and sub(LFE) redirect.

The "LFE+Mains" setting is what I called the Boombox(TM) mode during testing and should increase the bass from the mains no more than +3dB. I just tested a DTS CD under your operating conditions and found no major increase in bass from the front mains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.