AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by describing my current HTPC. Hardware is based on Asus TUSL-C MB, Radeon VE 32DDR, Delta Dio2496, P3 850MHz. The system is running W2K and PowerDVD XP in a very satisfactory manner.

I have now replaced my old Delta Dio2496 with Delta 410 that have arrived this afternoon. Output channels 1,2,3,5,6 (L,R,C,SL,SR) are now bypassing my Yamaha decoder and feeding directly into Bryston amplifier, which in turn drives a set of 5 M&K S-150 satellite speakers. Output channel 4 is connected to MX-350 sub (LFE).

Delta 410 uses the same driver as DeltaDio, and the driver on the accompanying CD is the same as the current driver on the M-Audio web site, i.e. 5.12.1.25. The Delta control panel looks very similar apart from showing more WaveOut/WaveIn devices (similar to Delta 1010).

Having set up the preferred audio device to Multichannel Delta-410, I started PowerDVD XP and selected the 6 speaker audio output.

The magic started.

The card does work and shows the same improved clarity and imaging precision similar to what I have experienced while testing Delta1010 few months ago.

But, this time volume control does not work on any of the channels. The only gain control I have found was on the 'Hardware setting' tab of the Delta control panel, where button marked ‘-10dBV’ seems to have some effect. Any of the volume slide controls have no impact. Considering that Bryston does not have any volume control on its own, full on or -10dB is still too loud.

For a while I decided to ignore neighbours and continue playing Shrek DVD. This particular DVD seems to have been AC3 soundtrack encoded without any information on the LFE channel (All music is on channels 1&2, dialogs are on channel 3; channels 5&6 have effects only), i.e. audio information is originally set up as 5 full range channels. As I use 5 satellite speakers, this means my heavy weigh sub was surplus to requirements.

Looking at the audio options of PowerDVD there is advanced audio setup button that unfortunately have LFE management in opposite direction only: it allows LFE channel (WaveOut4) to be redistributed over the front two channels. DVD's like Shrek need exactly the opposite: LFE information should be stripped away from all other channels and re-routed to WaveOut4.

This leads to another area. For this card to be generally useful there should be a screen where the exact speaker configuration can be described. Having said this, such screen does exist within Sound and Multimedia Properties, where there is an option to set '5.1 Surround Sound Speakers', but this appears to have no effect on PowerDVD handling of the LFE information.

Some of this issues have been extensively discussed in connection to Delta 1010 cards and will probably continue to be an active topic.

I would like to briefly mention Dolby ProLogic II decoding of music materials. This does appear to be working with good quality, however listening to the music at full power this late hour (it is 11pm in London) is upsetting my wife despite the 2 floors difference between mine and hers playrooms.

Cliff and others, if you have any suggestion how can I progress on any of the above issues, please help.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
so is there no individual volume control for the channels?

any luck with Power DVD XP, and using the volume controls in DVDGenie, or in the registry somewhere?

from your post it sounds like you are unable to control the volume at all. Is that the case?

thanks for the very informative post, and the quick purchase.:)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Cliff and others, if you have any suggestion how can I progress on any of the above issues, please help.â€

Branxx,

Please contact me by email. I have something I would like for you to try.

Back to the needed controls for the 410 card. Before DC would commit to offering the Delta 410 we obtained a firm commitment from the President of M Audio that he would develop the necessary software. They have two software bugs that must be fixed first.

The individual channel volume controls do change the volume level, however, they are limited to only 16 dB and are insufficient to act as a master volume control on a free running amp. This has not been a problem for me because my amp has a master volume control and I use the 16-dB sliders to balance the individual channel volume levels. The DAC volume controls ARE NOT limited to 16-dB. Actually the DAC volume controls have 256 discrete settings of 0.5 dB each so changing them for full control should not be a big problem.

BTW, the 410 will sound even better when you get the volume down and your ears stop ringing.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
ah, now I have a good understanding of the control situation. and it sounds pretty promising. I think I can keep myself away from the digitalconnection site for another couple of weeks or so, but not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold out.:) I realize that the agreement with the top dog of M Audio has been made, but any hints on an estimated time frame for the software enhancements?

is this a good place to ask how well the card can coexist with sound cards that are installed for gaming compatibility? Under Windows XP specifically?

I'd like to let that long thread take a break somehow.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmcgrath
... I think I can keep myself away from the digitalconnection site for another couple of weeks or so, but not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold out.:) ...
Good luck because I could not resist. The temptation was just tooo much for me.;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cliff,

Delta 410 sounds great on any volume setting, but it is a bit environmentally unfriendly (noise pollution problems).

You should have received my e-mail by now.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Branxx
Cliff,

Delta 410 sounds great on any volume setting, but it is a bit environmentally unfriendly (noise pollution problems)....
Hope I'm understanding what you are saying. By noise pollution you are referring to lack of volume control, not any kind of distortion?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
William

Running 5 speakers at full 250W per channel is regarded as 'noise pollution' by my neighbors. It would be fair to reiterate that the sound quality, i.e. clarity, detail, spaciousness was greatly improved comparing to my Yahama DSP-A1 decoding. The SQ improvement created a sound stage that within the listening room did not appear to be unpleasantly loud.

I have also noticed another annoying problem. There are quite loud cracks and pops on the computer's start-up and close-down. This is a problem for the systems that have always on amplification of are connected to active set of speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.