AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already made the move to purchase the Delta 410. I should have it by next week. Was this a wise move? I'll be using it for DVD playback - DD & DTS. CD playback. MP3 Playback. TIVO functions. I will have my Yamaha rx-v2095 doing the decoding. Will I really hear a sonic difference between the SB Live! that I'm using now and the Delte 410? Should I stick with XP?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why do you need an expensive sound card if you have a receiver that does DD and DTS decoding? Why not get a cheap card with SPDIF out and run it to your receiver? Why not get a motherboard with SPDIF out for that matter?

I don't own a new receiver. I was thinking about getting a 410 and skipping the fancy receiver and going straight to the amplifier. Would this work? Doesn't the PC have to have DD and DTS decoding software anyway?

While I am on a rant, why doesn't anyone make a breakout box for SPDIF to five analog outputs, decoding DD and DTS? Or a USB to five analog outputs like a Sound Blaster Extigy (only with DTS.)

Being space constrained I would like to dispense with the receiver functions since all I am using is a decoder, DAC and amplifier. Amps are pretty easy to find, its just all the stuff in the middle that baffles me.

k

·
Registered
161 Posts
if you want to be REALLY minimalist...do what I did.

dispense with the receiver completely and use active monitors connected directly to the line outs on the 410. :D

Kevin.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Why do you need an expensive sound card if you have a receiver that does DD and DTS decoding? Why not get a cheap card with SPDIF out and run it to your receiver? Why not get a motherboard with SPDIF out for that matter?
First, I already have a receiver (Yamaha rx-v2095) and it does a damn good job. 2nd, I have an SB Live! using s/pdif but the bass comes out a bit distorted. 3rd, I hear that SB converts the signal from 1 frequency to another. From all the things I hear about the Delta 410, it sounds like I'll have a high end DVD player for sound. Does anyone agree?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lsdavinci

First, I already have a receiver (Yamaha rx-v2095) and it does a damn good job. 2nd, I have an SB Live! using s/pdif but the bass comes out a bit distorted. 3rd, I hear that SB converts the signal from 1 frequency to another. From all the things I hear about the Delta 410, it sounds like I'll have a high end DVD player for sound. Does anyone agree?
If S/PDIF out is all you need you can save $20 with the Audiophile 2496 unless you think you may use the 8 analog output channels on the Delta 410.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got my Delta 410. I must admit, it was confusing at first. There isn't any internal connections for CD or Aux-in. Apparently, the audio stream from both CDs and DVDs go from the player to the card via the PCI slot. After so many years of constant connecting CD cables to get sound, this concept was very alien. But, I now have CD's and DVD's working off of the card and let me tell you, IT SOUNDS GREAT. DVD's seem to have another level of clarity that was missing in the past. CD's also. And the LFE wasn't distorted as it was with the SB LIVE! Why? Don't know. But I plan to exploit this card to the fullest (possibly with 6.1 for DVD's and DPL II using the analog outs). But the only problem I ran into was with my AIW Radeon 7500. In order to listen to TV, there needs to be a physical connection from the AIW to a sound card. So that means I have to leave the SB LIVE! in the computer. Any suggestions to make this work with the Delta 410?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got an AIW radeon, and I can get the audio by using the radeon breakout output cable, using a minijack to 2X phone lead, and pluggging the phono's into the Delta 410 analogue inputs.

Then in the 410 patchbay router, set H/W out 1/2 to monitor/mixer out, and in the mixer panel make sure that h/w in 1/2 isn't muted or at zero volume.

Messy but it works; just need the saved confuguration facility ;). it does suggest though that an external volume control mechanism into the 410 needs to be control both the monitor mixer volume and the bass management volume, so that there is always 1 volume control, regardless of what mode is in use.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
I've got an AIW radeon, and I can get the audio by using the radeon breakout output cable, using a minijack to 2X phone lead, and pluggging the phono's into the Delta 410 analogue inputs.
I think I've tried this but I came to 1 conclusion: TV isn't sent out the audio out mindin of the breakout cable. Although I didn't test it using the software settings, I will test that tonight and see what happens.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Isdavinci, I'm not using the minidin, I'm using a minijack socket, and that works fine (although it as an AIW radeon, not a radeon 7500).

You do need to switch the delta control panel things round or you won't get anything for sure! Check it out with something you know works first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.