AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have reached an impasse between my Delta DiO 2496 and my Marantz AV9000 preamp. There seems to be a "word clock" synchronization problem between the Delta card and my preamp. About half the time when I switch chapters while playing a DVD I get nothing but white noise out of my preamp.

After numerous emails to M-Audio tech support and a 15 minute phone call today, the verdict is that professional equipment (the Delta card) and consumer equipment aren't always compatible. ;-(

I found a thread indicating there were voltage differences between pro equipment and consumer equipment so I tried the optical connector. No dice, exactly the same behavior as the coax.

So, rather than upgrading my preamp (which is on the list for later this year) what would be your collective opinions on 2nd-string sound cards. I'll likely keep my Delta card for future use but need something now that's more compatible with consumer gear.

Thanks.

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
92 Posts
Huh?

That appears to me as a BS answer! The only "pro" thingy of the SPDIF to me is to go AES-EBU on XLR which is differential and goes a longer way on 110ohms cable. Used exclusively in broadcast. Never seen it even in prosumer level stuff.

BTW, I never had a problem with mine with an Onkyo TXD-575X. I am not familiar with the Marantz 9000.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€The only "pro" thingy of the SPDIF to me is to go AES-EBU on XLR which is differential and goes a longer way on 110ohms cable. Used exclusively in broadcast. Never seen it even in prosumer level stuff.â€

ProEnvy,

In addition to the XLR connectors the AES-EBU Professional S/PDIF has a different voltage level and one or two user bits in the data stream. At least one pro-sumer card is manufactured with XLR connectors.

Tom,

It sounds like your Marantz AV9000 preamp is in “auto†mode when the AC-3 bit-stream stops during a chapter change the processor drops back to PCM mode (reason for white noise on AC-3) and does not pickup the AC-3 bit for the next chapter. Does the Marantz allow you to lock the processor in AC-3 decode mode?

------------------

Best Regards, Cliff

Digital Connection, LLC

[email protected]

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, the preamp is in "auto" mode and yes, I can lock it on DD or DTS. Here's the weird thing, when I get the white noise, the preamp does show that it has recognized a Dolby Digital signal (all the LEDs on the front panel are lit).

I'll try locking it on DD or DTS tonight to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Tom:

___I hope Cliff’s answer was a success but I have seen similar experiences with an M-Audio AP2496 in a VIA/T-Bird based HTPC to my son’s Onkyo TX-DS575 within the last 2 days while running Gladiator in DTS mode. When the Onkyo 575’s COAX input was setup for both Digital and Auto, the stream was lost as junk as you cycled the through the disks menus of … select DTS ES --> through the DTS intro’s --> through the FBI/warning screens --> back to the film selection menus --> start the film. To cure this, I forced Digital instead of Auto and the DTS has been locked in ever since when cycling menu’s as well as normal looped playback via WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.4. This HTPC is in its 45th hour of a loop as of this post without problems with the Receivers COAX input forced to Digital only mode.

___Just to add another note of confusion to this thread … On my main Intel based HTPC under either Windows Millennium or Windows 2000 using the M-Audio AP2496 with the appropriate drivers and setup depending on OS used, this does not need to be performed when the DTS stream is applied to my Onkyo TX-DS777B.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Locking my preamp into DTS mode while playing Gladiator works fine. No dropouts between chapters, no sync problems with the Delta DiO card. This is running WinDVD 2.6.4 on Windows ME.

Using either the ATI player (4.1) or WinDVD playing back DD I still have the problem.

I've always had this annoying "pop" from my preamp when it looses the signal and has to regain. This happens even with a standalone DVD player. When playing back DTS and moving from chapter to chapter I no longer get the "pop" which indicates that the preamp never looses the signal. When playing back DD and changing chapters I still get the "pop" which tells me the preamp has to resync.

Seems like this is simply a timing problem. The M-Audio tech support guy suggested I track down what DACs are in the Marantz so they can check for incompatibilities.

Thanks for the suggestions.

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.