AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up a set of Delta HD-8 Rev B lenses for my Sony 1272. HD-8M's are standard for the 1272. I believe the HD-8 Rev B is considered to be a better lens.

I understand that the HD-8's are used on more than one brand of projector. Is there any chance that they were made with different bases / mounting brackets for different brands of projectors and hence may not fit my 1272?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
I have an opportunity to pick up a set of Delta HD-8 Rev B lenses for my Sony 1272. HD-8M's are standard for the 1272. I believe the HD-8 Rev B is considered to be a better lens.

I understand that the HD-8's are used on more than one brand of projector. Is there any chance that they were made with different bases / mounting brackets for different brands of projectors and hence may not fit my 1272?

Thanks in advance
I know that the lenses from a 1272 will fit on other machines that take the HD-8 Rev B lenses.

I don't know whether I agree that the HD-8's are "better" than the lenses that come on the 1272. Also the 1272 lenses are tinted for color correction, though not the usual red and green filtering you see on say an NEC PG lens.

btw- as far as "Rev B" goes, I've never seen an HD-8 that wasn't Rev B.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
I know that the lenses from a 1272 will fit on other machines that take the HD-8 Rev B lenses.

I don't know whether I agree that the HD-8's are "better" than the lenses that come on the 1272. Also the 1272 lenses are tinted for color correction, though not the usual red and green filtering you see on say an NEC PG lens.

btw- as far as "Rev B" goes, I've never seen an HD-8 that wasn't Rev B.
If I'm not mistaken, the 1272 HD8 lenses aren't tinted. The coolant glycol itself is tinted (not part of the lenses).

My circa 1990 BG800 has original (metal frame) HD-8's (non rev-B).

Kal

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
AFAIK 1272 lenses are Colour CORRECTED, but not Filtered (tinted?)- the glycol is coloured for filtering.

1270 has filtered lenses though - Graham had one with distinct lenses for each colour.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
AFAIK 1272 lenses are Colour CORRECTED, but not Filtered (tinted?)- the glycol is coloured for filtering.

1270 has filtered lenses though - Graham had one with distinct lenses for each colour.
I've had 1272s with the SAME lenses that are on the 1270. I'm not sure WHAT they should be called because although they are "colored" somewhat, they are opposite on the spectrum of what the tube color is. In other words, the Magenta color is NOT on the Red tube and they also have an Amber looking color. I don't know what the best description is for them since they are being used for color correction, but aren't filtered in the classic sense. ALL the 12xx projectors have colored glycol.

btw-They STILL look better than the regular HD-8s

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!!

I had searched the archives and couldn't find anything definitive.

I'll go ahead and get them and see if I can see any difference.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have experimented with all the above mentioned lenses on a 1271 and also a BD800. Here is my take on the HD8 Rev B vs Sony PT-65 vs Sony PT-45 ( the colored ones on a 1270). All tests done at 800x600 60hz.

They are all very close in the picture quality they produce. The major difference I noticed after having the HD8-B's on a 1271 with mint tubes for a week I switched to the Sony PT-65's (standard lens on a 1271) was the image seemed a little brighter. I did not adjust any color settings, just changed lenses. The scan lines were also more visible leading me to believe the Sony's are a little sharper. I have a set of PT-43's on a BG800 right now and the picture is very sharp from corner to corner, as good as the HD8-B's. Some say that because of their design, there is less ringing with HD8-B. If that is true it is minimal.

I think (not an expert by any means) that the color coating on the PT-43 does nothing but look good. It is only a colorful reflective coating to keep light from bouncing back into the lens. I will have to switch them around on the BG800 soon to see if that thought is correct. Although they are labeled to go on a definite color according to Sony.

The difference between them all is minimal, I have some of each and see nothing that would make me say one is the clear winner. I would like to someday get a set of HD8 all glass and see if they make a great difference.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I doubt there is something like an ALL GLASS HD8. There are some metal cased and some plastic cased, but they all should be hybrid lenses.

Even the HD10 are hybrid lenses.

Seems the PT65 have less elements if they are really brighter, so maybe they have more plastic inside than the HD8, as the less plastic you use, the more lenses you need as you can not make glass aspheric at affordable costs.

The different shining lenses may have older technology antireflective coating. They could not make the coating as broadband as today so it was effective only for a narrow light band.

Roland

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to finish out this thread as the question has been asked several times over the years (check the archives) but never really answered.

I was able to get a like new set of HD-8 Rev B lenses and finally got them mounted this past weekend.

So, to answer the first question - YES they fit on a Sony 1272 just fine, no modification needed, no twisting, turning or squeezing. Exactly the same mount as the HD-8M's.

The HD-8 Rev B's do not seem to have any coatings on the lenses like the HD-8M's do - by comparison they are crystal clear.

As I proceeded to focus the green CRT, my first reacton was "Wow, the center focus is quite a bit sharper, let's see what the corners will do." The focus improvement out at the corners wasn't as dramatic, but still better than the original lenses.

So I got all three lenses focused and checked the convergence to make sure I hadn't knocked anything out of alignment. The next test was to project an image and see how it looked. I am using an 80" wide screen (at a throw distance of 101"), which is pushing it for this projector. Again, another "Wow", the image out at the sides and corners was noticeably brighter than with the original lenses. Nice day!!!!

So for you current and future 1272 owners, my experience is that the HD-8 Rev B lenses are a decent improvement over the originals.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

as the revB looked crystal clear (do they even look crystal clear when you watch them from a big angle from the side? Antireflective coating shows some faintly colored reflections where uncoated lenses have reflections that are not pushed towards any color) they may have no AR coating and that may be a reason why people see less halo on the HD145 when they substitute them for the HD8b...

How are the 8M compared to the 8B with respect to halos?

Roland

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBro mobile
Hi,

as the revB looked crystal clear (do they even look crystal clear when you watch them from a big angle from the side? Antireflective coating shows some faintly colored reflections where uncoated lenses have reflections that are not pushed towards any color) they may have no AR coating and that may be a reason why people see less halo on the HD145 when they substitute them for the HD8b...

How are the 8M compared to the 8B with respect to halos?

Roland
I haven't seen any halos with either set of lenses - but then I don't know how to look for them, and I think I don't want to know!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Just for the record

HD8 lenses came in 2 types (that I know of)

the aliminium case glass/glass lens - early lens known as an HD8

the plastic case glass/plastic lens - later known as HD8 rev B

I have several sets of both so they do exist !!!

to date I have not found out the "resolustion" of these lenses

HOWEVER the HD8 was used on the higher end projectors eg graphics not data (for Barco)

on a BD/G 801s I notice far less drift with HD8's and I think a sharper picture - though Im not 100% sure im not trying to convince myself!!!!

I also have ONE set of colour filtered HD8's - this is the only set I have ever seen - so I bought them!

Anyone know the resolution? thats useful info for me?

I did a search but the search I never seem to get far with - end up with loads of posts nothing about what I want........

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMrH
Just for the record

HD8 lenses came in 2 types (that I know of)

the aliminium case glass/glass lens - early lens known as an HD8

the plastic case glass/plastic lens - later known as HD8 rev B

I have several sets of both so they do exist !!!

to date I have not found out the "resolustion" of these lenses

HOWEVER the HD8 was used on the higher end projectors eg graphics not data (for Barco)

on a BD/G 801s I notice far less drift with HD8's and I think a sharper picture - though Im not 100% sure im not trying to convince myself!!!!

I also have ONE set of colour filtered HD8's - this is the only set I have ever seen - so I bought them!

I did a search but the search I never seem to get far with - end up with loads of posts nothing about what I want........
MadMr,

The lenses on my 1272 are marked HD-8M and the lenses I purchased and installed are marked HD-8 Rev B.

Both have plastic cases.

Are you saying that there is yet a third type "HD-8" with no other nomenclature that has an aluminium (aluminum over here) case ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Taking pictures now........ back in 5!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I can't see how lens type affects drift.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMrH
I've always seen the resolution of HD8-B claimed at 10 line pairs per mm. HD-120 are supposed to be 12lp/mm and HD-145 8lp/mm.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Drift v lens type.........

Plastic and aluminium expand at different rates! so the drift is caused by the lens case I think - Honestly a massive differance seen here.

On with the pictures.......

these 3 are all of the HD8 lens

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
These are HD8 rev B

third is my doggy flea bay misunderstanding I think - at the time I thought these were HD8 - now I dont think they are - on route here so not got them yet.....

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
I can't see how lens type affects drift.
Not sure how you can see anything through the smoke and glasses :D

EDIT - Test was done on a BD/G 801s ONLY - and a massive change seen

·
Registered
448 Posts
also look at the coating difference from the original compared to the rev b.

The coatings are much smoother,and transparent on the hd 8 aluminum.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.