AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say hello. I've been reading this forum and the TiVo forum for a few weeks now. My parents agreed to buy me a PVR for my college graduation, and I was going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... Finally, yesterday, I bit the bullet and ordered a TiVo from Amazon. I really wanted a ReplayTV, but given the uncertainty of the bankruptcy situation, and the fact that Amazon suddenly stopped carrying new Replays, I just went for the TiVo. But I've been agonizing over that decision for two days, and finally tonight I started looking around on eBay and - amazingly - found a brand new in the box Replay 5060 for - get this - $300 including shipping! So now I have 2 PVR's traveling the lonely roads tonight, destined to become the love of my life - but one has to go back, and I bet you can guess which one that'll be. :D

Anyway, yes, just wanted to introduce myself! You guys have a great community here, and I look forward to talking with you a lot in the future!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Glad you decided to take the plunge and get a PVR! I'm sure that you will enjoy it, and maybe you'll make Replay your *second* PVR :)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
5060 for $300 including activation great deal

5060 for $300 not including activation not great deal

having said that you should be very happy with your choice

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
5060?

I thought the only place to get a 5060 was Costco. Did you get it at Costco?

Isn't there a $50 Costco rebate?

And that would also mean there is an 80gig inside. You can patch the drive and get a 5080.

Welcome Cleo!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
5060?

I thought the only place to get a 5060 was Costco. Did you get it at Costco?

Isn't there a $50 Costco rebate?

And that would also mean there is an 80gig inside. You can patch the drive and get a 5080.

Welcome Cleo!
No, I bought from someone on eBay, so I won't be getting the rebate :(, but considering it's a gift, I'm ok with that.

Is it possible to patch the 5060 drive to 80gig without opening up the box?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
Sorry, but you'll have to extract the drive to patch it.
Right, but it's very very easy to do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 5060 is available at Costco for $249 minus a $50 Costco rebate that ends on 4/27/2003 (tomorrow).

Because it is a Costco rebate and not a SonicBlue rebate you can be assured that you will actually get it.

You can open the box and patch the drive to make it a 5080.

A 5080 for $199. Not a bad deal.

The person on ebay is probably out $199 + taxes for the box he sold to you for $300.

Daren

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I guess I didn't get a great deal at all. But I definitely will the next time around - we're already considering adding a second Replay in the living room on the Big TV.

So I have another nOOb question, and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. My Replay will be sitting next to my iBook, which is on our Airport network (fed through a Roadrunner cable modem). When I have friends over with laptops, we can just put an ethernet cable between my iBook and their laptop and they can get on the network too (one of the fun benefits of Jaguar). Will I be able to do the same with my Replay? That is, instead of buying a wireless bridge, can I use internet sharing in OS X to just hook the Replay to the iBook and let it access the internet that way?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Jaguar's internet sharing should work fine. Worst case, you might want to manually configure it [by editing some dotfiles], or there's always various shareware goodies from Sustainable Softworks to make it all a little more friendly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.