AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First home theater , I'm looking for some advice and opinion

This is going to be in the basement, I'm not going for a perfect 4 walled thx sound experience per say. It's a good, dark location no window wells or walkout w/ 3 walls front & sides.
About 15x20' space w/ screen & front bottom cabinet on the 15 wall. It will be open to the back, with a kitchen/bar area behind, and other family room in distance.. so that 20' length can flex in/out depending how arrange seating. I am already probably going to make the bar area shorter than what is in this drawing
I'm trying to do this all for ~$15k, incl maybe a few speakers in ceiling back in the family room area. Need to buy some appliances and another flat screen in back on top of this, and work the waf.

layout
- picture below/attached
- Going for two rows of seating (two couches), w/ the second couch/back row on a riser, backed up to a countertop/bar & stools behind that. So i guess 3 total "rows", two comfortable seating and hard top w/ stools behind to provide a barrier for the riser/platform.
Question 1: I have some room to move that riser back or closer, how far back should i target row 1, row 2 with ~135" screen? What's the ideal viewing distance this size screen?, and do I split that difference w/ two rows?.. or hit it perfect for one of the rows and go from there

Equipment
Question 2: Thoughts on screen. Two options a) Dragonfly 133" Fixed Projection Screen, or b) Stewart 135" Cima Fixed.. it's about +$700 diff for the Stewart
I plan to have a small built-in cabinet below the fixed screen for center channel and if we put a wii or xbox kinect etc
Question 3: Thoughts on in-wall speakers vs floor standing for front speakers. My inclination is to have the speakers in the wall and out of the way, only the sub on the floor. Looking at Klipsch R3650WII in -wall
Question 4: Thoughts on perforated screen w/ speakers behind? I believe i have the room on the sides w/ 15' and this size screen so I was leaning this way but have gotten bids w/ both on the side and behind the screen. i know it's less of a decision when you don't have the room, but which is "better" and what else do you think about for this decision
Question 5: Should I completely hide my equipment rack behind/under my stairs coming down, no access from theater?.. use RF remote. I like the location because it will be completely accessible from my workshop area and cool, but am i foolish to not have a cutout that I can get at the receiver from the theater side? Planning to use a Sanus Equipment Rack CFR2127B1, and likely a PC or htpc hooked up so no physical media. I could put the game boxes in the front cabinet under the screen.

Other equipment

Going for 7.1 here, and 1080p. 4k just too new and expensive
Yamaha RXA1040BL receiver chosen to possibly address that second zone family room area
Looking at epson 3500 or 6030 for projector, (the 6030 might push me over budget)

Klipsch Center Speaker RC52IIBK
Klipsch In-ceiling Surround Speakers CDT3650CII
Question 6: Should I go for it, and at least place the in-ceiling for Dolby Atmos that I could use later?
Question 7: thoughts on URC remote vs. just doing my own Logitech RF.. these things are so expensive and I'm pretty handy setting up. is it worth it?

Any other gotchas? Advice from the pros?

demiru

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,883 Posts
you have the sofa back at about 12 ft from the screen which is about right for a 135 inch screen.

Your riser may not be high enough and your should check your assumptions with the riser height calculator in the sticky threads.

I would use a woven acoustically transparent screen from Falcon or SeymourAV. Cheaper than perforated and with less audio effects. Get the center channel up on the middle of the wall so it can broadcast to all the areas of seating. If you put it behind the screen you can use Three identical front speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this brings another question

Screen measures roughly 10x6', and i believe i've got just under 9' ceiling.. 8' 10-11"?
15' wide no problem for the speakers on side. But in general, HOw do you center the screen on the wall, ie how much above and below.

Thanks for the tip on riser i have to see how much i can do to code

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Thanks, this brings another question

Screen measures roughly 10x6', and i believe i've got just under 9' ceiling.. 8' 10-11"?
15' wide no problem for the speakers on side. But in general, HOw do you center the screen on the wall, ie how much above and below.

Thanks for the tip on riser i have to see how much i can do to code
For proper sight lines you want the center of the screen to be slightly above eye level and the top of the screen to fall in the range of 10 to 20 degrees (15 degrees is typical). At the same time, you don't want the screen too close to the ceiling, or you'll get a light reflection.

Sub'd!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts