AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently demoing a new centre channel ,I am having a hard time finding material or demo scenes to justify upgrade from current center
Have SPEAKER switch set up on both centres...
Anyone have any tips for some demo scenes?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What brand(s) of centers? What fronts are you using? If your center speaker doesn't match your fronts it may not matter how good it sounds.
All same brand Axiom audio's
M80 Tis (v1)towers and currently own vp150 (v2)center and demoing against vp180 (v4) and only getting a subtle improvement
bD concerts have a decent gap and demo worthy movie scenes are very close slight advantage (sometimes ,content dependent) to the vp180

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also should add the VP 180 is much larger than 150 and should be a noticble difference , I'm just having a hard time hearing and when I do ...it is usually subtle
So I did a little experiment ...I disconnected my front left tower ( m80 ) from Denon AVR 991(3311) and hooked my centres up too that .and ran 2.1 with just front left M80 and the two centres (A/B speaker switch) on the front left of AVR Both centres in regular position on top of one another just below screen.......put on some CDs ..and WOW... I get a huge difference from the two favoring the 180 all the way
(Also good test to show how bad a horizontal speaker can be ,depending on content)
So is it my demo material not getting enough to center channel? My AVR or settings ( still haven't run Audyssey ,cause I'm switching between 180 and 150)?
using PS3 fat for BD playback ,entire front soundstage set at 60 hz,and has a 15" velo sub next to center speaker inside towers....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,I'm past my 30 day "free trial",and have decided to keep the VP 180 for a few reasons
When I compared the axiom vp150 to the VP 180 for most movie scenes/tv watching etc....it was a very close but usually favoured the 180....subtle... ( but I was usually using scenes that the 150 sounded good in ?)
So I found a few scenes that the 150 struggled with ( being a bit too forward.....), and the 180 just played them.....not really drawing any attention to itself ( more laid back and natural....) for this reason alone I'm keeping it .
also on most BD concerts the 180 sounds better,and I think after trying both centres hooked up to left front of AVR it proved the 180 is a much better speaker and as more content gets sent to center channel the 180 will increase the gap
But for now as a center channel I have to say it is a upgrade, but a subtle one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.