AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gonna do the Demo Days thing, and was even kinda excited about it, but I've lost all interest in it and have bailed from the project.

We were recruited as "evangelists" which means we (supposedly) already know quite a bit about Replay, but yet they want to give us "scripts" telling us how to answer customer questions and they even told the CA folks that certain Replay folks would be walking around "so stick to the scripts".

Then they want us to sign something requiring us to keep anything we learn through the program a secret and that while Replay and DNNA don't have any obligations to us under the agreement, they have the right to sue us into kingdom come if they feel they need to do so.

Then, in addition to the 4 hours of precious free time that you have to give up to do the demo itself, yoi have to sit through a 1 hour conference call and do some other training too.

I'm sorry, this is all starting to feel too much like work. I mean, what do they need evangelists for if they're gonna be giving out scripts? Any trained monkey can read a script!

So, if anyone wants to pick up another Chicago slot, it's all yours!

(And no, I didn't sign the NDA)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well, you're not alone. I have read some of the things that needed to be accomplished by this Demo, and determined that it *was* an actual job. Not that I am against that, but the scope of this plan has gone from light demonstration duties by us geeks... to a full blown sales presentation for 4 hours at a time.

I don't have *much* sales experience, per se... but the level of experience for this project is daunting, to say the least. Couple those notions with the fact that I just picked up another contract that is more in the realm of my actual daily duties, I am backing out, also.

Robman, I think that when this thing started, it was solely a ReplayTV/DNNA deal (and they were turning to us, their staunchest supporters, for the Demonstration of it's abilities to the public)... but once they brought Campaigners into the mix, it became more sales driven and scripted... but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It was always Campaigners.

As far as it being "work", well, duh.

It never occurred to me that anyone would think it was just 4 hours of happy fun time in an electronics store.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I too was excited to evangelize the ReplayTV units. I thought it would be great to show others why I'm solidly sold on the RTV brand.

However, I gave up after the first eMail Campaigners, Inc. sent me in which they actually said they wanted to employ Territorial Account Reps to cover a territory AND tout their RIO units which I have no interest in.

After that first eMail I just read and deleted their subsequent messages. Those messages made it crystal clear they were in high water without a May West and had no idea who or what they actually were dealing with.

Here's are a few tips for the marketing company:

1) Think the whole campaign out first - i.e. do your homework

2) Present exactly what you want the first time

3) Don't keep dancing around trying to find what you really want folks to do

4) A marketing campaign isn't a search for yourself.

5) Most importantly remember the 6 P's of success:
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
As far as it being "work", well, duh.

It never occurred to me that anyone would think it was just 4 hours of happy fun time in an electronics store.
It's not the WORK that bothers me, I knew it was going to be work. I was willing to volunteer my time to do demos which was the original request. I've been semi retired for 15 years and have always loved working a crowd but I was NOT looking for a JOB. I also have always had a real problem working FOR idiots which these folks, IMNSHO, obviously ARE.

I wish DNNA all the best, but one of my other opinions is that they have hitched the wrong horse to their wagon.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I also bowed out of the Demo after the first emails. I initially thought it was a cool concept to actually have "real" customers out there that used the product, and loved it. They could talk about it, share their experiences, and promote the product that way.

Once the emails came, and I saw that it was more of a "sales" pitch, I was no longer interested. It could have been cool, and it still might be, but I didn't feel it was what I was looking to do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
add my name to the list of bailers. After the initial emails it got WAY too complicated for me. I thought as I suspect that many did that this was just a way for us to share our positive experiences about the products - turns into 15 hours of preparation for 4 hours of scripted hell.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Same here. At first, it seemed like a good idea on paper (or on screen as the case may be) until they started coming out with the specifics. I was planning on/willing to volunteering (aka working for Replay shwag) originally, but the combo of all the requirements, prep and lack of dates/stores, it became more trouble than it was worth. I was hoping they wanting geeks to tell people how cool Replay really is, rather than salesmen/script readers telling people how cool Replay is supposed to be. If I get the chance, I'll try and stop by one of the stores when they are supposed to be staffed to see how it's going.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Part of the problem is that Campaigners can't assume that all the people who are signed up know an equal amount about Replay, nor can they know if people have the correct information either. Campaigners' job is to provide a uniformly equipped team out to the stores to spread a unified message. They *are* in the business of employing people, and I'm sure that if this was all volunteer we'd have a whole thread about how Replay was taking advantage of people.

With that said, I didn't sit through the training and didn't listen to the conference call and didn't see the agreements. My days were cancelled so I was off the schedule. This sucks, but if there's not going to be product there, I'm not sure what the option is. As far as the agreements, yes, there may be some onerous things in there. But there apparently may be reasons why some of the info does need to be kept secret for the time being. Again, haven't seen them, so I can't say for sure.

But I fail to see how training people, providing them with a uniform message, and paying them an hourly wage, with Replay swag on top of it, detracts from the whole idea. That's pretty much the whole reason why companies hire Campaigners.

If you want to volunteer, heck, you can go to your local store and sit next to the Replays and talk them up. I know I do it every time I see them stacked there. But yes, if you want to do it through Campaigners, you're going to get paid for it. Sorry.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I called for it before and again now.

Become a demo days spoiler. Visit the demo days store

local to you and ask all those tuff questions. Like:

1. Why no V5.x for all 45XX replays?

2. Why no more bug fixes for 5k and 45XX units?

3. Why was all 45XX users were left out in the cold. After only 1 year?

4. Why promise features/additions then only reneg and pull them back?

5. Why no interop 5K/45XX? Promised!!! and pulled back.

Direct these questions not at the "volunteer's". But at the man

with the script. He's the company man and should be able to

answer all the questions.

And If I missed some really good questions, feel free to ask them.

Yea, I am a little bitter. I own 2 45XX units. I read all the promises

that were implied here. Only to see "EVERY LAST ONE" reneg'ed.

There are some nice feature in the V5.x software I would have liked.

Also any bugs, are mine now to keep. And if they decide to un-subscribe

me again (replay server). I will have to just put up with it "AGAIN".

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doppler
Become a demo days spoiler. Visit the demo days store

local to you and ask all those tuff questions. Like:

1. Why no V5.x for all 45XX replays?

2. Why no more bug fixes for 5k and 45XX units?

3. Why was all 45XX users were left out in the cold. After only 1 year?

4. Why promise features/additions then only reneg and pull them back?

5. Why no interop 5K/45XX? Promised!!! and pulled back.
I hope you do not really do this. Because there is one EASY answer for questions 1,3,4, & 5 (answer to 2 in a moment). SONICBLUE WENT BANKRUPT!!! We should all consider ourselves very lucky that there is a ReplayTV at all and that we have guide data! From a technical standpoint I know it sucks to have units that don't get new or promised fetures or in some cases even bug that are a pain. Bust as the owever of 4 4xxx Replay's I am glad that I have Guide data and I am prepared to give DNNA time to find their way in this market.

As for question 2, 5K units are still getiing new feautes and many on this very board are beta testing a new software version that is supposed to make the platform more stable then ever so on that point you are simply wrong!

Besides you will acomplish nothing but making some low waged person have a Really bad day at work!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You know, as cranky as I am, I wouldn't even go play Demo Days Spoiler like that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Anyone that tries to bait me will be severely disappointed. :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I bailed after they intially tried to get me to work on a completely unrelated product line. I signed up specifically to evangelise ReplayTV.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too backed out. But I did it immediately after I received the first e-mail. I was going to post my disappointment with the whole thing way back when, but hesitated because I realized that what all of you are saying right now is true. And here you all are - responding exactly as I had expected. Neither side is wrong. I agree with both sides. It's just that I wasn't interested in a second job that paid $18.00/hr or any salary for that matter. When it was first posted here, I thought it was going to be a fun way to promote a product that I love - do it through DNNA and that they would reward our knowledge and enthusiasm with fun stuff. I wasn't even thinking about them giving us one of the new units. And now finding out about the contest thing, I'm even happier I decided not to do it. We all do the work and then one lucky person gets a prize. And I'm a really "lucky" person, I win everything - all the time. But I still hate this kind of incentive.

I wonder what Campaigners is telling DNNA about all the back-outs. They probably didn't want to use us anyway - they have to know that anyone from this forum that wanted to do this thing would have a really hard time sticking to a script. I couldn't do it.

As for just going to our local electronics store and hanging out selling them on our own . . . . hehe ;) "Security to aisle 5" ? ? ? Uh, yeah.

So, I agree that the whole thing seems way more impersonal than I was first led to believe (back with the first post about the demo-days, not after we were informed it was campaigners - I bailed right after that) - and that was not what I was looking for. And I agree that, yes, this is a job and campaigners needed to address all of the people as a group. I get that and understand it. I just decided right away, that that wasn't for me.

Good luck to everyone doing this. I hope you all sell lots of Replay's. I'm really interested in hearing how it goes. I'll just continue to do my small part by discussing it and promoting it amongst my family and friends. And for that matter, just outright buying them one - since they've been so cheap - I've purchased five 5040's and given 3 of them as gifts.

-em

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
My main problem, and I took this as a bit of an insult to me.

I'm forced to not take part in the refer a friend program until sometime next year? It's amost suggested that I'd exploit the RAF program while working on the demo days.

SB has done enough to prevent me from referring a friend to the ReplayTV. I've personally "sold" replayTV to more than 20 friends and family, and how many friends they've referred? I can't say.

I can personally tell you this, there is no bigger advocate for ReplayTV than me, but at this point.... I'm silent.

But, DNNA should understand the ONLY sales support they have right now is the loyal customers who love the product.

The word LOVE is a bit tough to use right now because of the current state of ReplayTV. Sure DNNA is working on getting the ship back on course, but even with that there are some MAJOR problems they've got to recover from. And it seems each stage of the game they keep trumping the last mistake. Call center to india, the rebate problems, the Chapt 11, the refurb 5k boxes, the 5.0 software problems, what's next? I can't say.

DNNA wants the 5500s promoted as a great piece of hardware. If I were to go into a store today, I don't think I can make that sale to a person. I'm too damn honest. They are asking me to lie, I haven't see a 5500, nor have I seen 5.1. I've seen the 5k line and it's not reliable, not at all. I've see 5.0 and it's not reliable, hell, in my opinion it's not even ready for public beta release.

DNNA expect me to "trust" them to deliver a solid product that I could feel good about turning someone on to. If ONE person comes back into the store because the 5500 failed to update the software on the inital connect to the service you bet I'll be pissed off! Because I was the liar, I was the one that decieved the consumer. I did retail sales as a teen before moving to California, and I could sell someone a piece of software because I was sure it would do what they wanted. But, I felt a bit guilty if they got it home and had problems. I'd (and my best friend would do this too) offer to come to come and help them out. Free of charge on my own time, why? Because I sold them the product and I told them it would work. I'm a guy of my word.

That's where I'm having a bit of a problem.

DNNA has NOT earned my TRUST, not yet. The only comany in the history of ReplayTV that has earned my trust.... ReplayTV from when they were in an office in Mountain View.

I didn't not sign the DNNA disclosure and I'm not sure I can.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
DNNA wants the 5500s promoted as a great piece of hardware. If I were to go into a store today, I don't think I can make that sale to a person. I'm too damn honest. They are asking me to lie, I haven't see a 5500, nor have I seen 5.1. I've seen the 5k line and it's not reliable, not at all. I've see 5.0 and it's not reliable, hell, in my opinion it's not even ready for public beta release.
GREAT POINT!!! You are right this marketing push should not have been undertaken until alcatraz was ready! If they sell lots of 5.0 units that have problems they will be doing more harm than good!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Agree wholeheartedly. I've got several friends and family members who are waiting to buy a DVR and they know I don't like my Tivo interface and I tell them if they get a 5000 they are ON THEIR OWN!!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
My main problem, and I took this as a bit of an insult to me.

I'm forced to not take part in the refer a friend program until sometime next year? It's amost suggested that I'd exploit the RAF program while working on the demo days.
They changed that Jeff. Its now just "don't hand out your link during the demo." Different agreement to sign and all that.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.