AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help/input on buying a store demo/display AVR, a Denon in this particular case

Are demo units these day ok/worth buying?

Would it be best/safer to purchase a refurb or b-Stock unit?

About how much of a discount should i be looking for to make it a good deal?

Anything else I should be considering/know?

This would be from electronic-expo online retailer.

Anyone ever purchase a display/demo AVR unit from them before?

I am a noob, and this would be my first purchase of a demo unit and my first purchase of a quailty avr.

TIA

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I agree. Demo AVR's should cause you no real concern. Especially with a quality Company like Denon. Moreover, you get the same Warranty as if you purchased it NIB.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
548 Posts
You could start by asking the last 4 or so Denon AVR's I've bought as displays, open box, or refurbs for personal use. Have never had a single problem and have paid as little as 15% (not a typo) of MSRP. On more than one occasion they've been sold for more when upgrading later, in some cases fully funding the upgrade. I really cannot process paying new launch retail for an AVR. The things depreciate like cars.

Most stores will still refund your money for a short time, while authorized dealer units will still have a regular warranty.

So yah, I think it's worth it. But then again it is only money, and you won't have the newest model.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
open-box / demo is a GREAT deal as it will still come with full 2-year mfgr's warranty. There may be some minor cosmetic issues (e.g. scratches) but it will be 100% functional and in a way it has already been "vetted" with some regular use.

Just make sure that the original accessories (remote and ESPECIALLY the CORRECT microphone for Audyssey) are included and you are fine

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/18235736

open-box / demo is a GREAT deal as it will still come with full 2-year mfgr's warranty. There may be some minor cosmetic issues (e.g. scratches) but it will be 100% functional and in a way it has already been "vetted" with some regular use.

Just make sure that the original accessories (remote and ESPECIALLY the CORRECT microphone for Audyssey) are included and you are fine

1 crucial point is to make sure that the open box/demo AVR has the latest firmware installed...

Just my $0.01..

·
Registered
339 Posts
My favorite discussion is cost-saves, and how to do it.

I would not purchase an open box product unless it is atleast 40% off retail.

You can secure these for 30% off at various etailers, which are authorized dealers and they are brand new in the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts