AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was browsing through Sears electronic section the other day and a while back remember watching a large LCD that was 120 hz. At the time it was the breaking tech and they were playing Pirates of the Caribbean on Blu ray. As i was watching, some of the scenes were so crystal clear and life like that it was as if I was in Universal studios watching these characters on a sound stage. It had amazing clarity and everything was so rigid, its hard to explain. So anyway a year later i'm browsing through a big box retailer and come across this same look, I don't know if this is coincidence but it too was 120 hz.

Almost ultra realism, it didn't look like a movie. Since then I have a a 52" Sharp LCD and blu ray. I have attempted to tune to the best of my ability and what i've read on the net, but my tv looks nothing like the ones I saw on display.

I am not talking about contrast or brightness, i feel like it was the way the tv was processing the video, and it looked amazingly real. Can anyone explain this phenomenon or at least tell me a name for it?

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

You are looking at some motion flow process applied to the films that makes them look like video ... not film.

Obviously not what the films are supposed to look like.

regards

· Registered
969 Posts
You were probably seeing the notorious "soap opera" effect. The processing makes film based imagery look like video. I'm not a big fan of it myself so I keep that processing turned off. You can still have the 120Hz technology without the AMP (as Samsung calls it) processing.

· Registered
153 Posts
You don't indicate whether the tv you purchased has the 120hz "feature", but I will assume it does. There should be a way in your setup menu to select that. You should check that if you have not done so. Also you don't indicate if you bought the same tv that you saw on demo, that could certainly make a difference.

Your question should probably be posted in the flat panel forum.

Although I share the same opinion as the previous posters regarding my personal preference re the 120hz "feature", please don't let others affect your viewing preference. It's your tv and you should view it and enjoy it.

· Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/15422799

Please DO allow education to offer another way of viewing video programs and what the technology has to offer.

Thanks. I was trying to think of a good way to say what you said, in addition to the rest of my post, and couldn't. I agree.

· Registered
73 Posts
its an artificial motion enhancement feature termed motion interpolation

viewing material is usually 60fps and 24fps so you will only have it as an option if your tv is 120hz or higher.

if your tv is 120hz or higher and you enable the option, your tv will fabricate artificial intermediate frames between real frames.

samsung calls it AMP and Sony calls it MotionFlow. dunno what other brands call it.

· Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa /forum/post/15423156

Thanks. I was trying to think of a good way to say what you said, in addition to the rest of my post, and couldn't. I agree.

No problem stew. It's just that the "p" word(preference) doesn't have much place on a forum where techs and users, beginners and veterans of this trade, gather to discuss, promote, and achieve display accuracy. You'll find that the "a" word garners a lot more respect around here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.